Talk

Advanced search

What about teaching tollerance?

(2 Posts)
create Sun 07-Nov-10 19:13:57

My DSs go to a lovely kids club run by the Salvation Army. I'm not a regular church goer myself and my faith comes and goes a bit I'm afraid, but I do think giving them the opportunity to learn about the Christian faith and traditions is part of their education.

I'm a bit late posting this, but it's been bothering me for a week or two.

Naturally the SA don't hold with Halloween. Neither do I and my DSs are not allowed to do Trick or Treat, although I do let them attend fancy dress things if they get the opportunity.

DS2 (7yo) came home from Kids Club adamant that Halloween is evil and it's "wicked" to celebrate it. He cried in a restaurant that had pumpkins around - not because he was scared, because he didn't want to be "bad" and celebrate Halloween.

So, whilst I understand teaching that Christians don't celebrate Halloween, shouldn't there also have been an element that some people do, everyone's entitled to thier own beliefs/customs and that it's good to respect that?

AMumInScotland Sun 07-Nov-10 19:33:06

If you send your DC to a religious organisation, then you have to accept that they will teach them ideas about right & wrong, good & evil etc that fit in with their view of these things. I disagree with their view, being a Christian who has no problem with Halloween. But I think they can't be told to not teach what they believe.

But its up to you as a parent whether you accept the "cost" of this childrens club being that kind of teaching.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: