Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The cat just stabbed my son!!!

(21 Posts)
spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 20:30:34

My ds has just come running in screaming from the kitchen sobbing his heart out and when I checked him over, he has 6 very deep puncture marks in his leg dripping blood. I checked the kitchen over thinking he may of fell on something but the only thing I can think of is that the cat attacked him.
Should I ask my cousin to take the cat back(I'm only looking after it for various reasons I won't go into) or just keep a close eye on the pair of them?

expatinscotland Mon 15-Aug-05 20:31:46

If it's a bite he needs to see a GP asap. Cat bites go infected quite often - any vet can tell you that.

spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 20:34:07

There were puncture marks in the same place on both legs so I'm pretty sure it was by claws. Should I get a GP to look at them just in case? The surrounding skin is now very bruised.

Thomcat Mon 15-Aug-05 20:34:36

Re returning cat, up to yu and understandable but tbh I think the cat and your son will be avoiding each other from now on. No excuse and I'm sure you'd like to kick the cat but if you DS isn't used to cats he probably tried to grab it and the cat reacted. Horrid though and I hope your DS is okay, bless him.

burstingbug Mon 15-Aug-05 20:35:17

get your ds checked out by dr's and send the cat back.

expatinscotland Mon 15-Aug-05 20:35:47

If it's claws it should be okay, run it by a GP just in case. It's the bites that can be troublesome b/c of the bacteria present in a normal cat's mouth.

Clean immediately w/soap and water.

spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 20:37:56

Cat is pretty placid most of the time but occasionaly(sp?) has a "mad half hour".
Cats now wrapping himself round ds' legs looking for affection!

spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 21:03:00

Just curious now as there is a lot of bruising and it hurts him to be touched on the punture marks. Should I phone NHS Direct for advice?

burstingbug Mon 15-Aug-05 21:54:43

Spursmum, Don't know if you're still on here, but I think you should give them a call. They should help and it'll put your mind at ease.

spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 21:59:29

I might if he wakes up. seems to be doing better. He has 4 very large holes in his legs!! OMG

burstingbug Mon 15-Aug-05 22:00:59

Poor chap. Have you kicked the cat out for the night? How long have you got kitty cat for? It's gotta be a male cat!

spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 22:14:44

The cat is a house cat and it is male. I've asked them to take the cat back tomorrow as I have got my parents dog while they are holiday next week.

Janh Mon 15-Aug-05 22:32:04

Scratches dodgy too - cat-scratch fever - do take him to GP.

misdee Mon 15-Aug-05 22:34:22

cats are evil

spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 22:38:59

ok now im a little worried on the scratches. will see what hes like in the morning.

edam Mon 15-Aug-05 22:40:30

How old is ds? Can he tell you what happened? Advice re cleaning wounds and seeing GP seems sensible. But in defence of cat, ds may well have tried to pull its tail or something - cat's tails are very attractive to toddlers.

spursmum Mon 15-Aug-05 22:44:10

Ds is 3 non-verbal with ASD. cats a bloody looney!! he had tried to pull his tail before but had managed to teach him to stroke the cat nicely. But couin told me that the cat is prone to "mad half hours"

spursmum Wed 17-Aug-05 12:29:11

Just to update...the cat went for my sons face at 6am this morning. My ds has a habit of waking early and climbing into my bed for a couple of extra hours kip. He got off his bunk bed where the cat was asleep on the bottom bunk and just launched at him. It only just missed his eyes!. Scared the living daylights out of me at that time of the morning. I told my family to take the cat back or i would "loose" it. They said that it has never been violent before.
Got a doctors appoinment later to check on the wounds.

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:31:57

buy a football

throckenholt Wed 17-Aug-05 12:33:51

definitely get the scratches checked out by the gp.

It sounds like your DS did something to scare the cat, and the cat is now in defensive mode - manifesting by attacking whenever it thinks it is threatened by your son.

Definitely separate cat and child - and maybe you will have to work at making sure ds is nt scared of all cats.

spursmum Wed 17-Aug-05 12:36:21

DS wsn't bothered by the cat. seems to loose all memory to the attack after he calmed down. The cat has now gone back to the family, I was only looking after it after eviction problems etc plus I already said I would look after my parents dog when they go away this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now