Talk

Advanced search

My cat is loosing weight

(8 Posts)
ScrewballMuppet Sun 17-Jul-05 07:52:35

I have a 10 year old cat that is loosing weight. As I have another cat it is difficult to gauge how much she is eating also I know there is a couple of neighbours who wil put food down for her or give her titbits.
I'm ringing the vets on monday but wondered if anyone elses cat had loost weight and why it happened?
She's also molting alot more but think that may be due to the hot weather as she isn't balding

Mytwopenceworth Sun 17-Jul-05 08:56:49

10 is getting on isnt is? my mum's cat (who lived to the MASSIVE age of 21 btw) got very thin. or maybe your cat has a gum or tooth problem?

is she happy in herself? does she seem to have trouble eating? is she drinking? does she seem to be in pain (not being around much, not wanting to be stroked, acting different/withdrawn?).

im sure the vet will sort her out. look forward to hearing that shes ok.

ScrewballMuppet Sun 17-Jul-05 09:04:17

thanks, she seems her normal self and can't see any bad teeth or gums in her mouth. My dh says that about her age too.
May have a word with the neighbours about feeding her so I can get an idea about her eating.

tealady Sun 17-Jul-05 09:16:30

One of my cats lost a lot of weight last year. She is 14 - at first I thought it was just old age but as it carried on and she was eating loads we took her to the vets and found she had thyroid problems. She had an op to remove her thyoid and is now as fit as a fiddle (over 1 year later). The loss of fur would also fit in with thyroid.

Hope yours is ok

lilaclotus Sun 17-Jul-05 09:17:08

could she have worms? that would make her lose weight, i think.

oops Sun 17-Jul-05 09:26:12

Message withdrawn

ScrewballMuppet Sun 17-Jul-05 10:11:35

Thanks

suedonim Sun 17-Jul-05 14:37:57

Could be worms or maybe a thyroid problem, which my bro's cat has. Hope your vet can sort her out asap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: