Talk

Advanced search

Please help me with my Bio-Orb!

(10 Posts)
Bigboots Wed 11-Nov-09 13:18:15

We have been left our neighbours Bio-Orb to look after which contained 3 small goldfish originally, but following tragic fishy events, now only 1. This is a 'long term pet sit' as they live abroad for the majority of the time.

The tank was bought just before the neighbours left and the fish put in just a couple of days after they had bought it (we think that is why Power-Ranger and Spotty died. We are now left with Iggle-Piggle who is getting rather lonely. sad We have no instructions! Can anyone help with advice on how and when to clean, how often to feed (going by guesswork at the moment - a pinch every 2-3 days) and whether it is ok to get 2 more fish to replace the dearly departed? Thanks!!smile

TippyTumbles Wed 11-Nov-09 13:32:23

www.reef-one.com/ hope this helps

janinlondon Wed 11-Nov-09 13:44:33

Number of fish in the tank will depend on which size bio orb you have - the smaller one is recommended for only one goldfish. (We have one and she is not at all lonely) Recommended feeding amount is usually as much as they eat in 2 mins, a couple of times a day. Ours eats pellets, so gets about 10 in the morning and 10 at night. Has survived happily on this for a couple of years. Our tank is cleaned (never remove all the water - usually just replace about two thirds) about once every 10 days, but DH is a bit anal about it and I reckon it could get away with a lot longer.

beautifulgirls Wed 11-Nov-09 14:09:53

How long has the tank been set up? Have you done any water quality checks or water changes?

Most times fish die due to poor water quality - you should do a 20% or more water change every 1-2 weeks depending upon water quality, and don't forget to add a dechlorinator product to the new water to make it safe. Feeding - enough that all is eaten in 2-3 minutes max, once a day.

You may do well to google some fishy forums and post more specific questions on there for good advice. Sadly many petshops/fish shops are very much lacking in proper advice for new owners and just all too willing to sell inappropriate kit/fish asap.

Bigboots Wed 11-Nov-09 14:14:25

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I've just measured it and it is the 'Baby' Bio-orb, so Iggle-Piggle is probably quite happy! The only thing is that my DC's especially the eldest (6) are feeling the responsibility quite strongly and it took me a long time to convince him that Mummy didn't kill Power-Ranger and Spotty, but that they were probably ill before we had them. Add to that, that the neighbours DC's are similar ages and I think I should get 2 look-a-likes if poss. Or is it possible that they died because they didn't have enough room (they are TINY goldfish, only about 3cm nose to tail)?

The reef-one website is helpful thanks TippyTumbles!

sweetnitanitro Wed 11-Nov-09 14:39:51

I wouldn't listen to the reef one site at all, I have dealt with them in the past and they are unwilling to admit that their product is unsuitable for goldfish.

Goldfish DO NOT grow to the size of their tank. Fancy goldfish should grow to around 8 inches, common goldfish to around 10 inches. Keeping them in a tank that is too small will stunt them causing long term health problems and a hugely shortened life span. Most people don't know that goldfish can live to be 30 years old. There is no such thing as tiny goldfish, only baby goldfish that will grow quite quickly to become massive.

Please please do not put any more goldfish in the biorb. They will not live for long and their quality of life while it lasts will be rubbish. Baby biorbs IMO are not suitable for any fish at all. The only reason reef one can sell them is that there's nothing to legally stop them.

Here are some links about goldfish that might help you out, and a link about biorbs that gives you some scientific info that is not in the biorb instructions-

GOLDFISH

BIORBS

Sorry about the biorb rant but it makes me angry that so many people are misled into thinking they are good tanks and so many fish die so the company can make money angry

Bigboots Wed 11-Nov-09 15:02:41

Oh sweetnitanitro - sorry i made you cross. blush In my defence, we just said we'd look after it - usually very animal friendly and clued up (dog and guinea pigs are happy!). Thanks for your post - I'll leave him on his own, feel quite guilty for having it now...

TippyTumbles Wed 11-Nov-09 16:44:33

My goldfish have been in my biorb tank for over 2 years (before that they were in a small tank for a year) and before that they were in a pond! They are very happy, horses for courses I suppose smile

Bigboots Wed 11-Nov-09 17:32:19

Thank you everyone! smile

sweetnitanitro Wed 11-Nov-09 17:39:22

No Bigboots, it wasn't you that made me cross at all, it's the company that makes the biorbs! I was in exactly the same position years ago when I got my goldfish, I had no idea how much looking after they really took. I probably wouldn't have bothered if I'd known grin but it is more complicated than anyone expects. You obviously care about your fish enough to ask about it, many people are happy in their ignorance and just treat their fish like glorified ornaments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now