Talk

Advanced search

it's been a long time since we had kittens... can someone give me some advice on litter training please.

(7 Posts)
Ingles2 Tue 10-Nov-09 18:57:03

we've only had them since Sunday so all very new... they are partly litter trained, as in they use it 50% of the time. I've just discovered the source of the smell, they've been crapping in the back of the fireplace.
Not the worst place they could go for sure as it's brick and I can clean it easily... but how do I teach them to go in the tray 100% of the time?
Also should I put tin foil down at the back of the fireplace?
Thanks

BellaBonJovi Tue 10-Nov-09 19:42:42

Congrats, Ingles!

Have you got at least 2 trays, and are the trays nice and clean? Are they in nice secluded areas?

Ingles2 Tue 10-Nov-09 20:39:50

Hi Bella (is that the original bella btw?)
no I've only got one tray but am clearing up the poo every time. They got really loose bowel movements as well..
The tray is in the corner close to their bed and they are both using it, just not every time.
Have you looked at their pic on my profile grin

BellaBonJovi Tue 10-Nov-09 21:42:10

Yes, tis me <waves madly>

They are gorgeous.

Very envy

I would have 2 litter trays tbh. Just cos cats are fussy little blighters. No, seriously, that's what you're supposed to have.

Will try and find you a link about inappropriate elimination <note to self - get a life grin >

Back in a jiffy..

BellaBonJovi Tue 10-Nov-09 21:45:27

Lots of good info here:

here

Re sloppy poos - have they been wormed and/or have you changed their food?

Ingles2 Tue 10-Nov-09 22:15:01

Thnks a lot Bella... I'll buy another tray tomorrow. I've been watching them tonight and both are using it regularly... They've definitely got more confident today. Poor things have had to get used to moving from a scraggy barn outside on a farm to here.
There in a large room cos we're open plan and have had to deal with 2 very over loving boys and an even more loving dog smile
As for worming, no I don't think so , I don't think they've had anything. They've got serious ear mites as well.
We're seeing the vet on thursday which I'm sure will be expensive.
These cats were born in a farm and the farmer obviously didn't give a monkeys, which is why I had to bring them home. Common sense told me to leave them, but hey....
and one of them is deaf as well....
God, I'm a sucker blush

BellaBonJovi Wed 11-Nov-09 10:16:47

Sounds like they've landed on their paws - I'm a sucker too, tbh grin

Deaf cats do very well, as you probably know. I'm sure they'll get the litter training quickly.

Keep us posted! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now