Talk

Advanced search

If you have a pedigree cat are they a house cat?

(5 Posts)

I'm thinking of getting a BSH but ideally would want it to be able to go outside like an ordinary cat. I know there is the risk it could be run over, etc but do you think there is a risk it could be stolen.

Its a BSH I'm thinking of getting.

oopsandbabycoconut Tue 10-Nov-09 15:51:13

Ours are because we used to live on a busy A-road but now we live in the middle of no where they are still indoors. I prefer the birds alive and our garden poo free! They have an outdoor run area and are otherwise just like normal cats. No reason a BSH shouldn't go out but 2 bengals(our cat's breed) have been stolen in our area in the last 6 months.

I suppose that Bengals stand out more than a BSH as they're so pretty. Its sad that you have to think about this.

duke748 Wed 11-Nov-09 00:49:23

I have two 9 year old Bengals and they have always been allowed outside.

Its my personal belief that its very important for cats (no matter what the breed) to have access to the outside. The wind in their tails, dirt to roll in etc! I'd rather they had a shorter, fuller life than a longer less fulfilling life.

Although I think my bengals are very striking, you would be surprised how many people think that they are tabbies!

smartmars Wed 11-Nov-09 22:04:14

completely agree with Duke - imo indoor cats have unfulfilled lives and to keep them that way because we want a pedigree (have you been to your local rescue centre?) which may be valuable to someone else is not a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now