Talk

Advanced search

think my 8 yo dog is getting fed up with the puppy!

(11 Posts)
kaylasmum Tue 10-Nov-09 14:03:55

Hi i have 2 cavaliers, an 8 yo and a 12 week old. My older dog has been good with her but i think she's really getting fed up with her.
The pup never leaves her alone, as soon as holly gets upto move anywhere tazzy just pounces on her. I feel so sorry for holly. She justs likes to lie about sleeping but she just is'nt getting the peace to do that.

They will play together sometimes, but holly just is'nt energetic enough to keep up with tazzy and just wants to lie down.

Also we're having a really difficult time getting the pup to stop biting, its atrating to get me down.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

bethoo Tue 10-Nov-09 14:09:00

i have a9 year old boxer and an 11 month cavalier so i am going through pretty much the same! beleive me when the older dog has had enough her patience will wear thin and she will retaliate wiht a nip to put the pup in its place.
you could try to play with the puppy yourself and not rely on the puppy ot amuse itself wiht tormenting the older dog, or perhaps give puppy time out and separate either by putting one dog in kitchen or the older dog somewhere where it is allowed to go and rest in peace?
my puppy is destructive and still waiting o nthe effects of his castration to take effect wink

throckenholt Tue 10-Nov-09 14:13:42

I had a 10 year old dog and a puppy - the older one was like an exhausted grandmother when the puppy was around. We just tried to make sure she got some quiet time away from the puppy, and kept the puppy occupied for part of the time to give the older one a break.

They were fine when the puppy calmed down a bit.

The older one will put the younger one in it's place when needed.

Years ago, I had a 4yo and a 12 week old and the older one(bitch)didn't want to know the dog pup, she growled and warned him off all the time. We had to leave them for work and just left them to it, with now exh popping in at lunchtime. He said, he went in, they were playing big time, looked at him and carried on. I guess that could work for others too...?

kaylasmum Tue 10-Nov-09 14:30:23

we do play with the pup, a lot. Its just that sometimes we can be playing with her and holly will get up to go to the kitchen and tazzy will stop playing with us and run after holly. Holly likes to be with us so puting her somewhere else would'nt be a good idea. I do try to distract the pup when it looks like holly is getting fed up but with 2 kids aged 6 and 2 its not always feasible if i'm doing something with them to start palying with tazzy.

hanks for your replies.

kaylasmum Tue 10-Nov-09 14:31:38

sorry about all the spelling mistskes, just about to go and pick up dd from school so in a hurry.

throckenholt Tue 10-Nov-09 14:34:44

I would get a cage for the puppy if you haven't already and put it in there when its getting to hyper. It is a safe place she can calm down - which would be good both with the older dog and the little children.

If you can manage to have it in a room where she can still see you all then it won't be like a punishment.

BellaBonJovi Tue 10-Nov-09 15:13:14

I second throckenholt's advice - you really need a crate, as much for the pup's sake as anyone's. 12 week old pups need plenty of rest. It's also important that pup has somewhere it can retreat to, which dc have been told is out of bounds.

Your older dog will enjoy the pup's company more once the pup has learned the boundaries and has calmed down a bit. In the meantime allow your older dog some time away from the pup.

HTH

kaylasmum Tue 10-Nov-09 16:27:03

we have a crate already, but if we pt her in there when she's not tired she cries and barks for ages. We have it in the kitchen. Don't really know what to do, i don't want holly to get really upset.

BellaBonJovi Wed 11-Nov-09 10:22:25

Holly won't get seriously upset - adult dogs make allowances for pups,although she might growl and give a nip now and then. That's important for the pup to learn - how far she can push adult dogs and how to behave generally.

I'd start with very short periods in the crate - put her in for a few minutes and if she stays quiet then reward her with a small food treat and take her out. Build that up gradually.

Or if she cries immediately you put her in, bang in some earplugs and stick it out till she goes quiet - then praise her and take her out. Give her no attention whatsoever when she's yelping or crying in there and she'll soon realise that being quiet makes you happy and she'll try to please. Do make sure she's had a wee or poo beforehand
though!

HTH

kaylasmum Wed 11-Nov-09 14:13:28

hi thanks, was worried that holly would get depressed with all the hassle she gets from tazzy. Tazzy is fine with the crate normally, if she's tired she will go in willingly and she always gets a treat when she goes in. Its just if she wants to play and we put her in then she starts to cry and bark.

Will persevere but obviously as i've had holly longer then she comes first. I'm finding it really hard going with tazzy, but she is very cute and really very clever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now