Talk

Advanced search

Taking on a three year old cat

(21 Posts)
Northernlurker Sat 07-Nov-09 21:32:09

Dh and I have always wanted a cat. We both come from cat owning homes and now live in a house in a quiet town location, well away from busy roads. Our youngest is 2.5 so old enough to start to learn about giving animals space. This morning we agreed to think about gettig a cat and I had a quick look on line spotting a beautiful 3 yr old tabby male who needs a new home because his owner is moving. I've e-mailed her and he's still available. I am very keen, dh has slight cold paws feet. What can you wise musnetters say to persuade him? And what are the pitfalls?

MegBusset Sat 07-Nov-09 21:33:42

What are his reservations? I can't think of any pitfalls to cat ownership unless you are bothered by having your furniture clawed!

MegBusset Sat 07-Nov-09 21:35:17

OK, well, seriously, pitfalls: cost of vet bills, cleaning up furballs/sick/poo from carpet, sofa and curtains scratched to bits, fur everywhere, have to get someone to look after them while you're on holiday

BellaBonJovi Sat 07-Nov-09 21:40:28

<whispers>

get the cat

it's a no-brainer

get the cat

it's a no-brainer

get the cat

it's a no-brainer

get the cat

grin

thesunshinesbrightly Sat 07-Nov-09 21:49:31

cat poo from carpet???? unless it's a dirty cat, then i doubt it hmm mine never get furballs and unless they are ill he shouldnt get sick, in that case it's not the cat's fault they are sick.

Their are no pitfalls, they are beautiful and will bring you all the joy in the world

MarthaFarquhar Sat 07-Nov-09 22:11:19

we've just taken on a pair of cats aged 3 and 4. it's at great age at which to get them. they're young, lively and full of fun, without all the mess and hard work that come with taking on a kitten.

Northernlurker Sat 07-Nov-09 22:28:40

Oh good! grin

I agree about the rareness of poo, furballs and sick - plus I have three children and they've vomited everywhere so not too troubled! Holidays - we go away for a fortnight once a year so that would have to be a cattery I think otherwise only odd nights here and there but the neighbours would feed him.

I even like his name - Walter - is that not the coolest name for a cat?

Dh says we can go meet him grin

thesunshinesbrightly Sat 07-Nov-09 22:51:15

So excited for you and envy!! awww walter bless smile

i'd have hundred's if i could smile

FairyMum Sat 07-Nov-09 22:52:57

A house without a cat is not a home.

thesunshinesbrightly Sat 07-Nov-09 22:54:40

True FairyMum love snuggling up with mine.

BellaBonJovi Sun 08-Nov-09 09:18:47

DH always waxing lyrical about how he likes to stroke a pussy of an evening <rolls eyes>

MegBusset Mon 09-Nov-09 21:07:00

SO have you met Walter yet?

Northernlurker Tue 10-Nov-09 17:15:40

We're going over there tonight. I'm very nervous!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 10-Nov-09 17:23:18

How lovely!! We took on an older cat whose owner sadly died and I am so glad we did. But it did take a good 6 months to a year for him to be part of our family ( from his perspective) but he's adorable!! Good luck.

Northernlurker Tue 10-Nov-09 17:38:31

Did he run away at all? That's my big worry.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 10-Nov-09 18:58:15

Well we live fairly close to his old home, and he did wander back, but only once. The old neighbours knew we had taken him and I had asked them to keep a look out and to call me if they saw him on his old stomping ground. So when they did they called us and we went along to get him.

We treated him ( he was 7 at the time ) as a new kitten and we didn't let him out of the house for several weeks. We did [shudder emoticon] a litter tray by the back door and didn't let him out. We also had to make sure he couldn't escape out of windows etc! ( It is all coming back to me, it seems so long ago !) We let him lead the way on how much interaction he wanted initially, letting him come to us, rather than overwhelming him.

It did take a long time for him to get used to us, especially to our young children which was out of his experience. But I'm so glad we did, he is so settled, affectionate; a real old gentleman and right now he is snuggled up on the chair near the radiator !

It sounds like this cat in your thread needs a home, and you have a home to offer.

Northernlurker Tue 10-Nov-09 20:09:52

I'm really upset now sad

We went to see him and he ddn't show up! His owner expected him home for tea but no sign at all of him. We could go back later in the week but dh and the kids think this is a sign that he isn't the one for us. I don't know what to think - maybe she doesn't want to let him go but didn't like to say she'd changed her mind? Aaargh! I asked her what she thought of us and she said she was worried about the kids and him not being used to them. sad I was so excited and now I don't know what to think - except that I'm being pathetic!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 10-Nov-09 20:31:04

how frustrating

but cats do their own thing, and they don't always come home when they're supposed to, a bit like teenagers hmm

I don't think you should take it personally!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 10-Nov-09 20:35:59

Maybe you should call her tomorrow when the children aren't around and be straight about it, and then if she doesn't think your family is right, you will have to move on................

..then find yourself a pair of cuuuuuuuuuuuute kittens !

It must be really really sad having to give away a three year old cat because you are moving, she must really want to get it right, and if your young children are worrying her, then you are not the family she is looking for.

thirtysomething Tue 10-Nov-09 21:51:16

northern we adopted a 2 year old female from a cattery where she had been dumped by the owner on house-moving day...they'd taken her in on a temporary basis and we heard about her and offered to adopt her - i had to call in several times one day to meet her as she was being very awkward and not coming in when called - I was beginning to think she didn't exist! 2 years down the line she's very much part of the family and loves snuggling up....so don't be discouraged - keep trying to see Walter...you won't regret taking him in!

CarGirl Tue 10-Nov-09 21:55:24

Our last 2 cats were both adults when we got them. both adorable and loving and just wonderful.

We're about to take on a pair of cats next week - eek!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now