Talk

Advanced search

How to keep cat in our garden???

(11 Posts)
CarGirl Fri 06-Nov-09 18:42:11

We are hoping to rehome some cats, we lost our last cat to a traffic accident.

These cats are used to having restricted access outside/being indoor cats.

So I've seen electric fences - anyone used one?????

CarGirl Fri 06-Nov-09 18:46:06

apparantly it's not electric!

www.freedom-fence.co.uk/pet-containment/index.php

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 06-Nov-09 18:50:47

we tried one years ago on our dogs, but the training didn't seem to work and resulted in our of our dogs completely freaking out when she got the 'shock'. Mind you she wasn't the brightest of dogs.
I can't see how you would train a cat to use it though. They would just panic and run when they heard the noise (like our dog did!)

CarGirl Fri 06-Nov-09 18:53:48

Dh says no, I just hope the neighbour will let us put the inward angle contraption on her fence, she won't be able to see it but she still could say no!

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 06-Nov-09 18:56:46

I used to work at an animal rescue centre and we once had a man come in who wanted his cats to be able to go outside without the worry of the traffic.
The rescue centre gave him the name of the company where they got their enclosed cat runs from and a few months later he came back to say thank you and that his whole garden was enclosed.
Maybe you could look into something like that.

CarGirl Fri 06-Nov-09 19:03:51

yes I am, just hoping for a few recommendations.

Have found this system

www.katzecure.com/index.php

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 06-Nov-09 19:10:12

that looks good and it would probably work on cats that haven't been out much.
Not sure it would contain my mad wild murdering houdini curious kitty thou

CarGirl Fri 06-Nov-09 19:12:22

It says to use the double pole system on Houndini's.........

We actually live fairly near Horsham and FIL is a joiner by trade so hopefully he would help us fit it - MIL shows her cats so I@m sure she can persuade him!

Naetha Fri 06-Nov-09 19:14:43

Our whole garden is enclosed for our 4 cats - we've used natural obstacles (privet hedges and walls) and then used chicken wire and willow wicker trellis to block up any other openings. The only place they can get out is over the wall, which they do occasionally, but it certainly kept them contained for a while.

At the end of the day, some cats just have no traffic/common sense, and no amount of cat-proofing will stop them straying where they shouldn't. It's just one of the things you have to accept.

CarGirl Fri 06-Nov-09 19:19:27

Yes Naetha we're aware of that but these are being rehomed by their official cat club rehomer, having lost the last one to a car when we were told to keep him in we do have to do everything we can. Hopefully as a pair they will more content not to roam.

Naetha Sat 07-Nov-09 14:00:28

Essentially though, if you want them not to roam, you HAVE to keep them inside. If you let them out your door/cat flap, you have to accept that the worst may happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now