Talk

Advanced search

Any of you had baby guinea pigs?

(18 Posts)
clayre Fri 06-Nov-09 18:17:20

Our gunieas are a fortnight old today and for the last few days one of the babies keeps making funny noises and trying to mount the other guineas, adults and babies, is this normal? we havent had them sexed yet as the vet said to bring them back at 3 weeks old, im worried about having more guinea babies.

clayre Fri 06-Nov-09 18:41:54

anyone?

OnlyWantsOneFartleBerry Fri 06-Nov-09 18:42:57

uh, I would sex them yourselves and seperate them.

clayre Fri 06-Nov-09 18:46:04

yeah but they are only 2 weeks old and still sucking from mum

123andaway Fri 06-Nov-09 18:47:46

Is it a purring/rumbling noise? If so you have a little boy, and you need to move him away from mum sharpish before you have more baby wiggies!!!! Do you know how to sex them? It's fairly simple. Push gently just above the vent, and if a willy pops out you have a boy.

clayre Fri 06-Nov-09 18:51:10

yeah its kind of a purring/cooing noise then a screech from the guinea thats he trying to get friendly with

PoppyIsApain Fri 06-Nov-09 18:51:34

I believe baby GP's are sexually active from about 7 weeks, please dont move them out till they are ready, maybe he is just a little docile grin

CarGirl Fri 06-Nov-09 18:52:17

general consensus on the internet seems to be that males become sexually mature at 3-5 weeks shock so suggest in a week you move the boys out!

123andaway Fri 06-Nov-09 18:54:43

They can be weaned at 21 days. I think boys can be sexually active before 7 weeks.

clayre Fri 06-Nov-09 18:54:52

Poppy we got our guineas at 6 weeks and she was already with babies

123andaway Fri 06-Nov-09 18:56:56

How near 3 weeks are they clayre? Glad they are doing well! I still waiting for my beach ball shape girls to pop!

clayre Fri 06-Nov-09 18:58:55

they are 2 weeks old today

thanks everyone for you replies

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 06-Nov-09 19:01:56

no I've always had baby humans, although guinea pigs would be alot easier to give birth to wink

peanutbutterkid Fri 06-Nov-09 19:03:45

My understanding is that they are very unlikely to impregnate each other before about 5 weeks old, that's how long they will keep nursing (if not longer, given the chance).

I had a mis-sexed male who impregnated his mom and sister, he and his sister were both at least 3.5 months old before she fell pg, in spite of being together all the time before then. Friend keeps her males in with mother until 5 weeks old and hasn't had an accidental pregnancy yet.

123andaway Fri 06-Nov-09 19:08:18

I think you've got to leave them for another week then. The chances are he won't be able to get mum pregnant yet, unless he's an early developer!!!!!! Is it a purring noise he's making?

clayre Fri 06-Nov-09 19:14:09

we have squeezed them and compared with google image and the one thats causing the bother has different bits than the others, it is like a purring noise but its not the normal purring noise they make

snorris Fri 06-Nov-09 19:34:06

If you look at their "bits" boths sexes have a sort of "Y" shape. Males have a dot above the "Y" and females a dot in it.
HTH.

I've bred guinea pigs in the past and used to wean the babies at about 5 weeks. To my knowledge none of the females became pregnant by their brothers Maybe I was just lucky!!

peanutbutterkid Sat 07-Nov-09 15:21:52

I can't see the Y thing dot at all.

You squeeze them just so to get the willy to pop out (if there is a willy, might be a video on Utube?). There isn't any other way to tell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now