Talk

Advanced search

would you rehome a dog under these circumstances

(53 Posts)
mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 11:10:30

Message withdrawn

claricebeansmum Fri 06-Nov-09 11:13:27

Have you told all th children that you are thinking of rehoming her?

Is it possible that you could get a rota going with other chores so that you/DH can walk the dog?

mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 11:19:08

Message withdrawn

luckyblackcat Fri 06-Nov-09 11:20:01

How old is she?

To whom does she 'belong'?

mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 11:21:42

Message withdrawn

wannaBe Fri 06-Nov-09 11:24:07

no I wouldn't.

I appreciate that the dog is hard work, but tbh it's the kids that are causing the issues not the dog. And when you get a dog it is IMO generally done with the understanding that the kids will lose interest within weeks anyway so ultimately it is your/dh's dog.

JodieO Fri 06-Nov-09 11:27:21

I think they need to be doing more, quite frankly I'm amazed how lazy they are. Make them help out! My 7 year old daughter loads the dishwasher and so does my 6 year old son, even my 2 year old (3 in Jan) son helps out with it! They all help with washing, hanging it out, put their dirty washing in the basket etc and keep their toys tidy (ish). I really would not be doing everything for them at their age. 18 is an adult and the two 13 year olds are more than capable of pulling their weight.

This is less a dog issue and more a laziness one imo. Get them helping!!

luckyblackcat Fri 06-Nov-09 11:29:32

If no one can be bothered to care for her properly giving her the time and exercise she needs, if she is becoming a nusiance for just being a dog shedding hair and making a mess - despite her 3 years of being a loyal kind and loving pet - then yes I would rehome her via Lab rescue.

I apologise if that sounds harsh, but those are the bare bones of the situation and I cannot see any point in pretending otherwise.

There is another thread in pets at present where op wants to rehome a 6 month old 'doodle for similar reasons - she has been well and truely flamed.

minimu Fri 06-Nov-09 11:31:28

My answer would be to go out with the dog more myself and leave them to the chaos they cause at home!

The dog would be much better company than the grumpy lazy teenagers. The lab will bend over backwards to please you.

Chickenshavenolips Fri 06-Nov-09 11:33:26

I think that rehoming the dog won't solve the problem of the lazy teenagers. You will still be swamped. I would do nothing for the 18 year old, he is capable of taking care of his own washing/cleaning IMO. The children should be doing more, and if they refuse then I would refuse to do things for them.

mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 11:35:10

Message withdrawn

paisleyleaf Fri 06-Nov-09 11:35:30

I agree with the posters who are saying that it's not the dog that's your problem.

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 06-Nov-09 11:36:51

That is a very good point indeed, Chickenshavenolips. It isn't the dog, it's the teenagers that are the problem.

<<wonders whether to suggest rehoming the teenagers......>>

mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 11:38:00

Message withdrawn

mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 11:39:06

Message withdrawn

Chickenshavenolips Fri 06-Nov-09 11:40:51

It sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate, mrsjammi, and it shouldn't all be down to you and your DH. Would the older three listen to you if you sat them down and discussed how you're feeling?

luckyblackcat Fri 06-Nov-09 11:41:23

OK, I then apologise for my stern tone. I had wrongly thought that the dog was their responsibility and they were shirking it, hence no proper walking clearing up etc.

claricebeansmum Fri 06-Nov-09 11:42:17

I agree with others. The reason you have no time for the dog or anything else is your teenagers. I expect ours (11 & 13) clear table when I ask, unload dishwasher, help sort washing, strip beds etc just generally help when I ask (we're working on the amount of backchat we get in response! grin).

We all live in the house so we all have to contribute.

HeSaysSheSays Fri 06-Nov-09 11:43:27

Your teens are your problem not your dog. You will be punishing the dog, yourself and your dh by rehomng her and not them.

If you really cannot cope then yes, rehome however I would be thinking you really need to get the lazy so and sos off their bums and contributing! You have a house of 7? people all of whom are able to contribute apart from the youngest, you should be over-seeing it all not the dogs body!

Your dsd will not explode if asked to load the dishwasher on her wednesday.

The fact that one is earning - not your problem, when they have jobs it will be the same for them, you cannot be held responsible for the fact that some or the dc are younger than others, they are using that line to manipulate you.

Your eldest at 18? Should be ashamed of himself, he is perfectly capable of drying a dog after a walk, never mind sorting a few chores. DOes he pay you board out of his wages? If not then make the chores and dog his board payment, if he does then tell him it is going up - to include chores and dog care!

You need to toughen up on them, the dog is a side issue here I feel!

throckenholt Fri 06-Nov-09 11:44:21

I don't think the dog is the problem. It is the older children. You need to get tough on them and get them to pull their weight.

Sit down and have a family conference. List all the jobs that need doing in the house, and who does them now. Talk about what is fair. Ask them to offer to take on various jobs. If they don't offer then tell them which jobs you are no longer going to do for them (eg no cooking for them unless the dishes are sorted etc).

The dog problems are just symptoms of the bigger problem - and getting rid of the dog will not solve the underlying issue.

HeSaysSheSays Fri 06-Nov-09 11:45:29

Sorry, X post there I see you have already conceeded that point blush

daisydotandgertie Fri 06-Nov-09 11:56:50

It doesn't sound as though getting the dog re-homed will solve your problems.

As pretty much everyone else has said, the problem is not the dog, it's the teenagers.

And they won't change because the dog has gone.

It's not reasonable to blame the dog for their failings.

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 06-Nov-09 12:01:01

I can't read anymore of these thread's they make me so

mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 12:05:25

Message withdrawn

mrsjammi Fri 06-Nov-09 12:07:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now