Talk

Advanced search

Guinea Pigs in an Eglu?

(7 Posts)
chickchickchickee Thu 05-Nov-09 21:15:21

I currently have an eglu with extra run panel attached that my chickens used to live in that I am thinking of converting for guinea pigs. I have been looking on the net all day, and have seen that there is a bit of a mixed reaction to guinea pig in eglus but it seems ridiculous to buy in a whole new set up when the one I have is ok as long as I think it through?

The biggest complaints about eglus seem to be the houses aren't that great in really cold weather, and that GPs may not use the entire run in the cold/wet etc.

This is my eglu as it was set up for the chickens last winter. Am I right in thinking something similar would be fine for the guinea pigs? I am planning to have the eglu on the patio in the winter to prevent frostbite to their feet etc from damp grass, and I will fill the eglu with straw to keep them warm.

Thoughts?

123andaway Thu 05-Nov-09 22:01:52

I think it would need some insulating to stop them turning into ice cubes. It looks a bit exposed. Does the shelter bit have a floor of is it straight onto the ground? If it's got a floor you might be able to put a small wood box/kennel type thing inside the shelter stuffed with hay for them to keep warm in.

Could you use it as more of a run, and then having a small sleeping hutch for at night or when it gets really cold?

BertieBotts Thu 05-Nov-09 22:10:41

I am looking at that thinking they would chew through it in about five seconds flat.

chickchickchickee Thu 05-Nov-09 22:52:54

The shelter bit is fully insulated with a base and "cavity" walls to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer. The chickens faired absolutely fine in it during last winter AND the heat of summer. In the winter, even with the door open it was 2c warmer then outside, and in the summer 3c cooler.

With regard to chewing, Omlet also sell a guinea pig version (mine is the chicken) which is identical with no reports of it being chewed. The entrance doorway is around 3" thick, which is the thinnest part so I think a GP would struggle to get a decent chewhold?

I can make it more covered with little effort, so I think it would be warm enough? But I am also looking at all other options

shockers Thu 05-Nov-09 23:00:15

I have a rabbit eglu and it is toasty warm with lots of clean sawdust and hay. Our rabbit is 5 yrs old and I used to bring him in at night during winter when he was in a wooden hutch... no need now, the double skin acts as insulation.He has spent the last 3 winters in the garden and he loves it!
You will also know if you already have one that they are super tough and I doubt anything would chew through it!

shockers Thu 05-Nov-09 23:02:15

Oooh... we also have raincovers for the run and he uses it all the time. I've seen foxy doing his rounds at night and found his footprints around the door in the morning but he's never got in. We do shut bunny in the eglu at night.

shockers Thu 05-Nov-09 23:03:24

Just clicked on your pic... mine is orange too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now