Talk

Advanced search

puppy humping?

(5 Posts)
aGalChangedHerName Wed 04-Nov-09 06:56:45

Our bitch puppy (7 months) only humps our youngest child who is 3. Has never humped us and only tries it with our 5 year old now and again,who is very good at walking away and ignoring her.

Why does she do this and how can we stop her? Would getting her nuetered help?

Our groomer who also breeds Bichons has put us off getting her nuetered till she has her 1st season but not sure why? We had planned to get her done asap but feeling guilty as the groomer made us feel bad for wanting to have her done when she is still a baby.

Please help!!!

BellaBonJovi Wed 04-Nov-09 08:49:43

She could be coming into season now - she's about the right age. Keep an eye on her vulva and watch for swelling and discharge. When she does come into season you'll have to be very careful where you walk her and keep a close watch on her in your garden in case she gets 'caught'. Uncastrated dogs will be able to smell her, quite literally, for miles.

Bitches mounting can also be a dominant type behaviour - not necessarily meaning that she is a dominant dog, but that she considers herself dominant to your youngest dc. If you can (and I know it's hard with a child so small) then get your dc to instruct her to sit, etc., so she understands her rank. I'm sure you already do this, but also make sure they aren't left unsupervised together.

HTH & best of luck.

BellaBonJovi Wed 04-Nov-09 08:51:53

And wrt spaying, it's unlikely a vet would spay her now if she is close to a season (much higher risk of complication from the surgery at this stage in her cycle) but I'd advise getting her done about 3 months after her season. Many health advantages for her in being spayed, which your vet will explain.

aGalChangedHerName Wed 04-Nov-09 10:17:08

Thanks Bella. Dd2 feeds her daily and makes her work for treats etc. Will be going for a worming tablet today so will speak to vet about the op. I do def want her done!!

BellaBonJovi Wed 04-Nov-09 13:37:57

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now