Talk

Advanced search

Please give tips or advice about introducing Lab puppy to 2 adult cats

(9 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Tue 03-Nov-09 23:20:04

smile

Please don't suggest getting the bed stuff from mum dog before arrival as that is not possible as it is a guide dog puppy aged about 6 or 7 weeks

2 adult cats haven't really met dogs before

so do you have any tips on how to do it?

I have some ideas and have read up on it but wanted real life experiences

Thanks

smile

Vallhala Wed 04-Nov-09 00:44:51

Put the feistiest cat in his carrier on the floor. Bring pup into the room on a lead and every time he goes towards the cat in an unacceptable way (ie not just to sniff), pull him gently back with a loud "NO"!

And repeat, repeat repeat!

Only do it for 5 minutes at a time to avoid over-stressing the cat and confusing the pup. Once he has the general idea bring him into the room on lead with the cat free (preferably sleeping or he may run and pup will think its fair play to chase). Again, pull back and yell no when he makes to go for the cat.

This is tried and tested by me and some of those who have adopted rescue dogs. In my case I had a year old SBT cross adopted from a pound - he tried to leap into the air to get my cat from my arms, it was a fraught week but he soon got the theory. In time I could leave them together and they were later best of pals.

BTW, one of my cats has practically moved into a neighbours as my current dogs are older now and he is bored of them. Instead he plays with their Lab pup, rolling on the floor and play fighting!

Remember to instruct all the family and visitors to keep the cats and pup apart until you are happy that they are safe together, even if it does mean sticking notices on each door!

You can also reverse the theory by putting pup into a crate and letting the cats wander around the room, once you have tried the first idea.

Finally, all credit to you for being such a lovely family and helping the Guide Dogs organisation. i hope you have a wonderful time with your friend. Don't know if I could do it, I'd sob buckets when it was time for him to leave!

Millarkie Wed 04-Nov-09 07:20:03

We introduced our 7 month old rehomed lab puppy to our cats by carrying the cats past her a lot whilst making a big fuss of them. The cats were 9 years old and had not lived with a dog before. The cats hid from pup a lot but we kept her lead on for the first few days and made sure she didn't get the chance to scare them. After about a week the cats got brave enough to walk past pup and if she tried to sniff them they whacked her nose with a paw. She soon learnt that they were part of her family and had sharp claws. Nowadays they will curl up on the same bed together

frostyfingers Wed 04-Nov-09 10:56:02

Generally I wouldn't worry about it too much, just don't leave them unsupervised until you're sure of them. I'd put money on the cats being in charge within about 30 seconds. My 2 labs are very wary of my 5 week old kitten, he climbs all over them and they just sit there looking faintly embarrassed. The 18 month old lab is not at all sure of him ever since he spat at her when he was 3 weeks old!!

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 12:39:42

Thank you so much for the tips and advice

smile

Do you think it is a good idea to feed the cats first so that they are higher in the pack than the dog?

Also, one of the cats is quite shy and timid.

Do you think that we should keep the cats in the house at the beginning so they don't go walkabout.

I am not sure yet if we are allowed to use a crate for a guide dog puppy

I hope so, as I think they are a great idea ~ but there are lots of rules about training and feeding etc

We have the assessment/interview/inspection in a couple of weeks so I will know more then but am wanting to get it all planned in my mind beforehand.

If we are accepted then we have to wait on the list for a puppy to be available. So it will be at least several weeks until the puppy arrives.

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 12:42:20

smile

Are there any more tips or advice please?

smile

minimu Wed 04-Nov-09 14:59:06

If you are going to be a puppy walker for the Guide dogs for the blind they will advise you of how they want you to introduce the puppy to the cats. They usually have quite specific ways of training and I am sure they will advise you in detail of all you need to know.

Hope the assessment goes well.

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 15:25:54

Thanks

Have you done puppy walking before?

Do they use crates?

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 19:01:57

bumpity bump

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now