Talk

Advanced search

cats and worming -- sorry

(8 Posts)
mathanxiety Mon 02-Nov-09 18:51:44

Anyone know anything about this? How often should it be done? Do I have to take the cat to the vet to do it? Are the worming meds available otc? Thanks in advance.

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Nov-09 19:36:45

one of ours has the tablet and the other one has the squirty stuff on back of neck

got both lots from the vets but don't need appointment

BellaBonJovi Mon 02-Nov-09 19:38:39

Non- prescription pet shop remedies are often ineffective and can be very harsh on cats' digestion.

Best bet is a tablet (Drontal) from your vet, or there are spot-on treatments available from your vet if your cat won't take tablets wink

Needs doing at least every 3 months.

Enjoy wink

mathanxiety Mon 02-Nov-09 19:42:21

Thank you all smile. Now to break the news to the cat...

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Nov-09 19:46:37

if you decide on squirty stuff and the cat has long hair then use baby nail scissors to cut the fur short otherwise it just gets matted

we did that with our long haired cat and it was much better than ending up with a huge clump of fur stuck together

BellaBonJovi Mon 02-Nov-09 19:48:51

You need instructions on giving the tablet too:

here

RTKangaMummy Mon 02-Nov-09 19:54:20

LOL very true grin

We wrap cat in a towel and make sure front legs and claws are well tucked in

also we use a pill popper

mathanxiety Mon 02-Nov-09 20:11:08

Thank you for the hilarious tips, BellaBonJovi. I think a hockey stick will be a part of the medication process. I have a feisty little (short haired) cat who has to be trapped in two laundry baskets to take to the vet, I have found. The cat-wrapping is a great idea. I will wear gardening gloves too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now