Talk

Advanced search

Help! Pointer problem - advice gratefully received!

(4 Posts)
salvolatile Sun 01-Nov-09 20:01:32

My 4 year old pointer bitch has always been fairly laid back and very gentle (as pointers usually are). about 18 months ago she killed our two guinea pigs, and since then has despatched the odd rabbit and pigeon on walks. Given her breed that doesn't surprise me. We live in a very rural area and she is regularly exercised with our other dogs. For the last few months though she has been involved in the odd dog fight, always with little terriers. What seemed to be dominant behaviour seems to have got worse, and yesterday she ran along a track in the woods, rounded a corner, came face to face with a small Jack Russell and attacked. Our terrier then joined in which didn't help. We got them apart and there was no damage to the little dog but obviously the owner was very shaken.

Can anybody tell me why this might be happening? She is unspayed - could that have anything to do with it?

salvolatile Sun 01-Nov-09 22:05:07

bump[hopeful emoticon]

BellaBonJovi Mon 02-Nov-09 08:53:23

I would get her checked out by your vet for any health problems which could be exacerbating this. If she gets the all clear then I would seek the advice of a properly qualified behaviourist.

In the meantime, you cannot allow her to do this to other dogs. Keep her on a lead at the very least.

minimu Mon 02-Nov-09 09:17:16

I agree with BellBonjova first port of call is the vets. Unfortunately these problems will not go away on their own so I would call in the advice of a behaviourist quickly. In the meantime you must be aware that you can not trust your dog she must be under control at all times so I am afraid that it is lead walking for the time being. I don't want to sound the voice of gloom but without appropriate treatment you will find that the behaviour does tend to get worse not better so the next terrier may not be so lucky

However on a happier note dogs with the correct behavioural treatment can come on leaps and bounds and hopefully this is the case with your pointer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now