Talk

Advanced search

How do you wash your dog bedding?

(12 Posts)
eyetunes Fri 30-Oct-09 14:06:21

I have dog blankets which i put through the wash, but then the machine gets filled with hair which is difficult to shift. What do you all do?

Sazisi Fri 30-Oct-09 14:13:00

We bung ours in the machine, too.
I shake the bedding outside before hand,and sometimes even hang it on the line before so some of the hair blows off.
There's always some doghair left in the machine though. It's a pain.
I can now see the appeal of non-shedding breeds (but our big hairy border collie is sooo lovely )

eyetunes Fri 30-Oct-09 14:15:21

i tried to hoover a blanket the other day, well that went straight up inside the hooover and made a dreadful noise with me frantically trying to drag it back out.

Shedders here too. This time of year seems to be the worst i think.

BellaBonJovi Fri 30-Oct-09 15:47:23

I machine wash it, but then do a separate 'rinse only' cycle once I've taken it out. This seems to get rid of the hair left behind. Remember to clean your filter though wink

ceres Fri 30-Oct-09 15:58:32

i just bung it in the wash every week, on a 60 wash with his towels. although ours seems to shed a lot (we are always covered in dog hair!) i never seem to have a problem with it in the machine.

it also gets all over the sofa covers, they are washable and go in the machine every couple of months or so. again, no problem with dog hairs in the machine.

actually, thinking as i type, i reckon its because the hairs are short and spiky (staffie hairs) - they kind of stick to the fabric even in the wash. i always tend to finish things off in the dryer for the simple reason that the dryer de-hairs things. the dryer filter is always chock full of dog hair!

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sat 31-Oct-09 17:05:26

We have a separate pet washing machine.

Only because we inherited it when we moved house, but actually it is fab. Before we used to use the same machine as our clothes and then rinse after use.
When the pet machine dies I would love to relegate our current machine to pet and buy a new one for our clothes (depending on finances)

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 31-Oct-09 22:22:14

I use vet bed and blankets for our two dogs and I wash it once a week on a hot wash. Afterwards I do a 60c wash with bicarb and vinegar and clean the filter. Hardly any hair in the machine after that and I have two very hairy Cavaliers.

SingleMum01 Sat 31-Oct-09 22:27:37

I don't, I buy a new one from the market for £5 every 6 mths!

Loshad Sat 31-Oct-09 22:29:38

with single mum - don't buy expensive dog beds, and bin them reguarly - we bin ours every 3-4 months and wash dog at same time

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 01:11:59

take cover off and wash in machine

and replace matress every 6mths or so

if woofa has a session at poodle parlor then bed cover gets washed same day

no point put sweet smelling woofa on smelly bed

frostyfingers Sun 01-Nov-09 11:58:33

I wash dog beds first, then dog towels, then rinse & drain. Finally I wait for machine to dry out and hoover any remaining hairs out. Seems to work pretty well.

ilovesprouts Sun 01-Nov-09 12:01:34

i wash mine 1-2 times a week, then run the wash on a hot wash whith bleach etc,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now