Talk

Advanced search

Kitten 3 1/2 weeks old

(14 Posts)
thesunshinesbrightly Thu 29-Oct-09 16:39:29

He is mad and seems very hungry, can a kitten get worms at that age? can i feed him kitten food early or is that a no no no?

boodeniites Thu 29-Oct-09 16:48:51

i take it he is still with his mother?

thesunshinesbrightly Thu 29-Oct-09 17:51:53

no, i have to bottle feed.

Pluginbaby Thu 29-Oct-09 17:53:55

Why is he not with his Mother?

ShinyAndNew Thu 29-Oct-09 17:54:14

Possibly a growth spurt. Are you getting advice from the vet? I'd get down there if not.

thesunshinesbrightly Thu 29-Oct-09 18:01:57

yes, i'm always phoning the vet and he has been for a check up, he is not with the mother has she had misscarried other kittens in the pregnancy with alot of bleeding and only had this one, and she was been aggressive so with advice from the vet, i took her away.

thesunshinesbrightly Thu 29-Oct-09 18:02:36

I feed him every few hours.

beryljinker Thu 29-Oct-09 18:15:23

As shinyandnew said, I'd go to the vet before putting him on kitten food early (although a lot of the internet sources seem to say kittens can start weaning from 4-6 weeks, so he's almost there), it may be that the formula milk you're using isn't meeting his needs any more or that as he's growing he needs larger feeds.

If you're hand-rearing him and you're not sure I would always suggest checking with the vet before changing anything in his diet, and to see if he might have worms, although it may be that he's too young for treatment.

Hopefully it is just a growth spurt and you'll just need to up his feeds accordingly.

boodeniites Thu 29-Oct-09 18:26:26

i have 5 cats and none of them were really interested in cat food until 5 or 6 weeks it does sound like a growing spurt sound advice to see the vet just for reassurance

boodeniites Thu 29-Oct-09 18:27:26

i meant to say the first food they were interrsted in was tuna and corned beef ! wouldnt advise that all the time obviously but would fill him up

thesunshinesbrightly Thu 29-Oct-09 18:27:45

Formula i get from the vets, and i cant fit anymore in the the bottle, i'm filling it up everytime he feeds, think i will take him too the vet. thank you for the advice.

beautifulgirls Thu 29-Oct-09 18:51:13

He should be wormed at 2, 5, 8 and 12 weeks....then ongoing from there but that will do you for now! Call the vet and ask for liquid panacur for him - you can give it by syringe. Weigh him first so you can tell the vet how much he weighs and they can accurately calulate the dose.

thesunshinesbrightly Thu 29-Oct-09 19:22:32

hmm i must really have a crap vet

thesunshinesbrightly Thu 29-Oct-09 19:29:48

At what age do I worm my kitten?
Kittens 6 to 16 weeks of age should be wormed every three weeks.

From 4 months onward cats and kittens should be wormed every 3 months.

What are the symptoms that my cat or kitten has worms?
Loss of appetite - no

The cat's coat is in poor condition - no

The cat has a pot belly appearance - especially in kittens - no

The cat or kitten suffers weight loss - no

Stunted growth of a kitten - no

Diarrhea (sometimes bloody diarrhea)- no

Vomiting or vomiting up a worm. - no

Anemia - The cat or kitten has pale gums - no

Worm segments around the anal area. These segments look like small grains of rice or sesame seeds.- no

Continual licking of the anal area - no

W

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now