Talk

Advanced search

My puppy keeps weeing on my duvet in the night, any advice please

(16 Posts)
PoppyIsApain Wed 28-Oct-09 21:06:22

Hi
my 5 month old puppy has wee'd herself on my duvet 2 nights now, i dont believe she is awake whilst doing it, it soaked through to the mattress and woke me up, very annoying!
I have tried keeping her downstairs but she just cries and she had a bed but ate it. She is a pomeranian X yorkshire terrier. Any advice to stop her doing it would be very much appreciated.

jkklpu Wed 28-Oct-09 21:07:17

um, get another bed/basket, put her in it and keep your door shut

GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Oct-09 21:09:55

Would a crate in your bedroom work?

Pups often eat their first bed - they do grow out of it!

PoppyIsApain Wed 28-Oct-09 21:14:06

We have tried a crate in the bedroom but she cried so loudly all night, i share my room with my ds who is 16 months old so obviously need her to be quiet, she is perfect in every other way.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Oct-09 22:26:54

Um difficult. You really can't have a weeing pup on your bed and its not the ideal place for him to sleep anyway.

I suspect you will have to grit your teeth and bear a few disrupted nights accustoming pup to different arrangements. Some of the same tactics used for babies can be applied to pups - 'gradual withdrawal' or 'controlled crying'. I can' quite see how you'll be able to do much without some physical barrier, be it door or crate.

Inghouls2 Wed 28-Oct-09 22:35:38

I really don't think it's a good idea for you to sleep with your puppy on your bed. It's not unheard of for dogs to have nightmares and attack whilst half asleep.
Get a crate and another bed and start training her to sleep in it. You'll have some restless nights to begin with but it won't take long.

Inghouls2 Wed 28-Oct-09 22:36:52

just seen you have your son in your room as well... put your dog elsewhere asap.

wildfig Thu 29-Oct-09 07:55:02

I wouldn't let my dog sleep in the same room as a baby, just in case. It's not the safest place for the dog, either: my friend let his dachshund sleep on his bed - one dachsie nightmare, one sleepy roll off the edge of the bed, one tearful trip to the vets with a paralysed dog. He's still not completely cured.

Agree with the advice above about moving her into her own bed. The puppy will cry for a few nights in her crate, or in her bed downstairs, but you just have to get her through it. She might sound likes she's dying of a broken heart, but she'll be absolutely fine. smile

CybilAviationAuthority Thu 29-Oct-09 08:08:10

Keep her downstairs. Put up with the crying for a few nights. dogs in bedroom =yuck

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 30-Oct-09 10:24:12

agree put dog downstairs in crate

she shouldnt be upstairs,let alone in your bedroom with a young dc, or on your bed

she will cry but its like controlled crying with children, it wont last long

alysonpeaches Sat 31-Oct-09 22:06:27

I would recommend a crate, downstairs too. Yes you will have a few nights wailing, but it wont last. Ours yapped less in the crate than when out of it. Good for housetraining too. BTW ours is a Yorkie pup.

Some people do like their dogs in the bedroom with them, I accept that. My mum has her dog in a basket in her room and of course the dog joined them during the night !!! But even as an adult dog she would disturb them during the night with a request to go out! I am mildly asthmatic, and although not allergic to pets, have never gone down the road of the dog in bed because it just didnt seem like a good idea. It is possible during the summer that your dog may have a bad infestation with fleas, despite treatment etc. You will have a lot of trouble getting rid of them in our bedroom. They can live in your carpet for a while, and come out and bite your legs. This isnt an urban myth, when we didnt have any pets we moved into a rented house, and it seemed nice and clean. Indeed the carpets had all been cleaned professionally. But we got bites on our ankles, and it turned out the previous owner had a dog, with fleas, they had stayed alive in the carpet for a few weeks and were feasting on us.

beryljinker Sun 01-Nov-09 14:00:21

Like human children puppies can be bedwetters - as others have suggested have her her sleep downstairs, with an absorbent mat (pampers bed mats for example) on her bed if necessary.

If the night wetting continues it might be worth having her checked by the vet for signs of a bladder infection. Has anything changed in her life recently that might be causing her stress and contributing to the night wetting?

If you want to continue having her sleep on your bed, but can't deal with the wetting then it sounds mad but you can buy nappies for dogs (just type dog nappy into google and there are lots of results), which might help the problem until she hopefully grows out of it.

thesecondcocking Sun 01-Nov-09 14:15:59

i've got a cure for it.put your dog in a crate in the kitchen-can't believe you let it sleep in your room,with your baby and that it PISSES on your sleeping place...it's a bloody dog!

fishflange Sun 01-Nov-09 14:29:00

if you don't want a crate, put a baby gate on the kitchen door.
Dogs should sleep in kitchens. More hygenic. Safe. Easy to clean up mess.
Simples.

PoppyIsApain Sun 01-Nov-09 16:20:06

Thank you to all those that have answered me politely.
thesecondcocking i appreciate your opinions but it really is easier said than done, the kitchen is directly under my bedroom and as i have previously mentioned she whined all night when tried before, my ds is safe in his cot, he is not in a toddler bed so the puppy can not get near him.
I only posted this for advise off fellow dog lovers, not so i could feel reprimanded for having a puppy.
Thank you for those who have tried to help and i will look into the options available.

alysonpeaches Mon 02-Nov-09 16:51:22

Good luck poppy. Let us know what works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now