Talk

Advanced search

Vet thinks my bunny has a tumour. any experience of how long .......

(29 Posts)
Lulumama Tue 27-Oct-09 10:50:47

Bunny's eye has been pushed massively forward by something. vet could not feel anything and thinks it might well be a tumour deep in the skull pushing the eye forward. she also has an eye infection which she has got cream and antibiotics for.

vet said to watch out for her going off her food and withdrawing from contact.

she does not seem in pain or unwell, how long do these things usually take? sad

Lulumama Tue 27-Oct-09 11:15:44

anyone?

FernieB Tue 27-Oct-09 11:30:01

Sorry no experience, but didn't want to leave you unanswered. Poor bunny. Hopefully she is still happy and pottering around as normal.

Lulumama Tue 27-Oct-09 12:34:09

thanks fernie. she is pottering, but definitely more sleepy than previously.

FernieB Wed 28-Oct-09 11:04:00

How old is she?

sarah293 Wed 28-Oct-09 11:05:15

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Thu 29-Oct-09 09:36:13

oops, sorry for not coming back to this ! got distracted by my own poorliness

bunny is 7.5 yrs. DH and I don't feel that there is any point getting any exploratory tests etc done as the vet said it was unlikely anything would show up as she though the tumour was so deep in the skull.

her eye infection has cleared up but is still definitely pushed right forward.

she's eating and drinking but definitly not bouncing around as much as she was

FernieB Thu 29-Oct-09 10:15:13

My previous bunny was 9.5 when she just stopped eating. Amazingly, she was still racing round the garden. Vet said there was a tumour somewhere but I didn't want to go down the test route with an elderly bunny (not fair to her). So I took decision to have her put to sleep before she was in pain (it was inevitable). Hard decision to make but I know it was the right one.

As long as your bunny is happy and in no pain, I would leave her alone to do her bunny-thing!

Hope you're feeling better now as well.

Lulumama Fri 06-Nov-09 11:18:23

oh dear , there has been a quick decline here. eye is bulging massively now, really noticeable, the infection has cleared, but her eye is awful. when i let her out of hr cage, instead of hopping around and exploring,she settles under the table or goes back in her cage. she is eating, but spends more time now lying down in her cage. sad going to clean out her cage and make her all comfy and i think we will have to consider putting her to sleep. would hate for the childrne to see her suffering too

RnB Fri 06-Nov-09 11:20:13

how sad. If she was mine I would probably decide to put her to sleep too.

Good luck

Lulumama Fri 06-Nov-09 11:44:07

yes, just had a wee chat with DS , he is 10, off school with possibly swine or just flu .. anyway, he said he does not want to see her in pain and it is kinder to put her to sleep when we can be with her . not sure how DD will get her head round it, she's 4.

Lulumama Fri 06-Nov-09 11:45:56

if i phone the vets wil they be able to put her to sleep they day i call? not sure how it works really.

RnB Fri 06-Nov-09 12:11:10

I think they usually can. Hope it all goes as well as can be expected for you all

FernieB Fri 06-Nov-09 14:20:57

Sorry to hear this. I would have her put to sleep as well. Hope everything goes smoothly.

Lulumama Fri 06-Nov-09 14:40:47

thank you, i feel a bit better, knowing that it is the right and proper thing to do, i just can't wait until she's in pain, but i can see she is starting to decline, but then she is still pottering, but i can't wait to see her suffer , i think we shall get through the weekend and we shall take it from there. thank yu very much for your help

LilyLoovesGuyFawkes Fri 06-Nov-09 14:43:53

LuLu my bunny didn't have a tumour but when she got ill it happened very quickly.
I just took her to docs and they put her to sleep.
Very sorry sad

PyrotechnicToadstool Fri 06-Nov-09 14:45:35

Lulumama so sorry to hear this. Rabbits are such lovely creatures, so funny to watch when they're bounding around but gentle with it.

I hope she might have a nice bounce around at the weekend so you can all remember a happy time.

Lulumama Fri 06-Nov-09 14:48:24

i got DH to do a bit of video of her the other day, when she was having her medicine as she was doing this really cute thing of licking her lips and twitching her nose, i think a nice weekedn, i shall feed her organic chantenay carrots and give her some old wires to chew on ! grin sad and then DH will come with us to do the deed

thank you for the support

RnB Fri 06-Nov-09 20:35:27

Lulumama Sat 07-Nov-09 09:51:27

we took thumper to be put to sleep this morning, she was really disorientated and her eye was pushed even more forward, very sad, but the vet was lovely and supportive. DCs are sad but ok, it was the right thing to do, she was declining so quickly.

RIP thumper. we'll all miss you sad

RnB Sat 07-Nov-09 10:46:24

Aw, really sorry about Thumper, but you made the right decision. Hope all are ok

Lulumama Sat 07-Nov-09 11:13:16

thanks very much, we're ok, feel better that it's done, never had to have an animal put to sleep before, DS insisted on coming with me, DD went to a friend's, have wrapped thumper in one of DDs baby bath towels with pink bunnies on it and we'll give her a proper send off when Dh gets home

LilyLoovesGuyFawkes Sat 07-Nov-09 11:25:43

sad it is so hard isn't it....

Lulumama Sun 08-Nov-09 09:33:24

we buried her under the apple tree, the children and us are sad, but we'll be ok, thanks for all the support smile

PyrotechnicToadstool Sun 08-Nov-09 09:39:29

So sorry lulu

i think it's lovely that you wrapped her in a bunny towel

One of our cats sadly died recently and he is under our pear tree now - i hadn't considered myself that sentimental but i find him being there a huge comfort - knowing he was at his happiest in the garden.

RIP thumper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now