Talk

Advanced search

Puppy has arrived! Do we use a crate AND a bed?

(13 Posts)
itchyandscratchy Sun 25-Oct-09 11:53:36

We fetched her on Friday and she has settled amazingly well. Only cried for 10 mins when put in her crate at night then settled til 6.20am. Only one accident so far and that was when dd1 didn't recognise the signs. Otherwise she (the pup, not dd1smile) is pooing and weeing in designated areas in garden (ie on bark and borders, not on patio or grass), and seems very happy to be here.

Re her crate: I really want her to sleep in our middle room and have made a space for her crate there, but last 2 nights to get her used to the crate we had it in the front room so she could climb in and out and there it has stayed. I want to move it into middle room now - would it be a good idea to have an extra bed/cushion in the front room for her to lie on when we're all in there watching tele etc.? A different bed or the same one she would sleep on inside the crate?

notimefortv Sun 25-Oct-09 12:05:24

Hi Itchy,

Congratulations!! What breed do you have and what is her name?

I can't help you I'm afraid - don't you hate it when people post that?! But just wanted to say good luck with everything - I am getting a puppy in 2 weeks so am busy checking all the advice on here.

You've just brought up another point I hadn't thought of! There is so much more to think about it seems than with a baby smile

itchyandscratchy Sun 25-Oct-09 12:25:18

She's a cross-breed: some springer, some border collie and a bit of jack russell for good luck! and her name is Hetty. She's back and white with spotty springer paws and a little badger's face, black with a white stripe down it - gorgeous!

Tis indeed like having another baby, with loads of cons but a couple of enormous pros, one of which is seeing the dds with her, which is priceless. and I didn't realise how in love I'd be with her too. Had to carry her to dd1's school for the pick-up Friday and sooooooo many people stopped me to comment and chat about her. I've never been so popular (although I know it's nothing to do with me). I read an article a few months ago about how a dog can have a very positive effect on families with kids: they called the effect "doggy glue" which sounds kind of gross on one hand but is actually really sweet as well. We all sat watching Merlin last night with the dds (terrified!) in between us on the sofa and the pup lying across our feet. Felt so good!

What flavour pup you getting?

But, yes, hopefully we'll get an answer re crate and bed very soon!

notimefortv Sun 25-Oct-09 12:30:16

we getting a bichon poo! Is a Bichon Frise and poodle cross - still thinking about names. Am looking forward to the lovely times and preparing for the harder times! Saw lots of dogs being walked on my run this morning and got very excited.

notimefortv Sun 25-Oct-09 12:31:07

Hetty sound lovely smile

ClivetheCatfish Sun 25-Oct-09 12:38:15

Hi you two - congatulations to both of you wink

Personally, I would stick witn the bed in the crate, only because I find pups tend to really like their crate - it's a safe den where they know they can go to get a bit of peace, especially with small dc in the house. No harm whatsoever in having another bed, but do remember that your cute little puppy will start to chew in earnest at 4-5 months old and any bed needs to be pretty sturdy.

best of luck.

MuttOfTheBaskervilles Sun 25-Oct-09 12:45:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minimu Sun 25-Oct-09 13:14:23

If money will stretch I would get an identical crate for both rooms. It will make training much easier.

Having said that when she is bigger a bed would be fine and much nicer looking in the sitting room! My dogs have a bed in the sitting room and the "dogroom". It helps to keep the sitting room tidy and they only come in there when they are dry and clean.

MuttOfTheBaskervilles Sun 25-Oct-09 14:27:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itchyandscratchy Sun 25-Oct-09 17:44:22

Yes, I don't particularly want a crate in the front room at all. Like the idea of the posh bed for front room and smelly blankies for Mutley's den!

Well, seems like the puppymoon period is over - she escaped into the neighbour's garden today, did a poo in the dining room,we missed her first jabs appointment at the vet's with all the chasing round and she's been bouncing up onto the furniture at every opportunity and biting the dds.

It's like having four puppies in the house as I'm having to instruct the dds and dh about the disciplining everytime she does something wrong as I want us to be consistent, which is really tiring and wearing.

I'd forgotten how hard it is! (Was 17 years ago when we last had a puppy and was remembering our nicely behaved and placid old dog hmm)

She's currently howling her head off in her crate as the dds have their tea. I'm surprised you can't hear her...

sassy Sun 25-Oct-09 17:59:35

She sounds gorgeous, itchy; if a leetle high maintenance!!

Look forward to meeting her when she has settled in a bit

minimu Sun 25-Oct-09 18:07:02

She doesn't need two crates but if you want her to know where you expect her to sleep eg in the evening in her bed/crate it may be an idea to have the same object with the same command. eg bed and dog goes to crate to sleep. It is a good idea to let the dog choose to go to its crate without the need to lock it in Muttofthebakervilles. But equally you could just use a bed up to you! Crates do not need to be locked obviously!

Sounds like she is settling in well! Hang on in there it is just a phase!!!!!!!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 26-Oct-09 12:18:07

clive - didnt know you knew about dogs grin

you know bugger all about keeping your tank clean wink

itchyandscrathy our woofa at work has a huge crate with bed in it in the kitchen and then also a huge bed/think of single matress size in the living room by the fire

though may be moved as is a real fire and will be used in winter

but will still have his big bed in living room

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now