Talk

Advanced search

How to make cat put weight on?

(8 Posts)
PinkPatrick Fri 23-Oct-09 13:45:18

Can anyone tell me the best way to make a cat put weight on?

Thanks

LittleRedCar Fri 23-Oct-09 13:46:52

Have you had him/her checked by a vet to rule out any of the illnesses that can make a cat underweight?

PinkPatrick Fri 23-Oct-09 13:53:33

yes she was ill and stopped eating entirely. She is now eating again but has remained very thin. We can see a slight increase in her size but it seems so slow sad

fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Fri 23-Oct-09 13:56:14

spread her meals out a bit. So feed her 3 or 4 times a day rather than 2 and give her slightly bigger portions than normal each time.

pollyperkins Fri 23-Oct-09 13:57:42

Could you try food aimed at kittens rather than adult cats? My mum's cat needed to put weight on (again following illness) and this worked a treat (the cat thought she was in 7th heaven!)

Joolsiam Fri 23-Oct-09 14:04:30

You can get high calorie food from the vet - usually designed for pets recovering from illness.

Liquivite looks pretty horrible - is a very sloppy high calorie goo that you can syringe into a sick cat, or perhaps stir into normal wet food to add calories. You can get it here

I'm pretty sure that Royal Canin / Hills do one aswell that is a kind of mousse, so easy to digest and full of nutrients.

VetMedStudent Sun 25-Oct-09 18:57:12

I dont know if this will work a) with a cat or b) since your cat was actually ill but my dog stopped eating, and kept leaving her food in the dish and picking at it all day,(this is NOT how we feed our pets. they are not grazers)except that it would go stale so she would only eat about half what she was supposed to.SO! we tried taking it away after an hour. the dog soon learnt that if she didnt eat it quick, she would go hungry, and now she eats perfectly again.

Cats tho, theyre so different! i guess try things she likes more. Sometimes, if its wet food, putting it in the microwave might help cos they like the smell more.

Jux Sun 25-Oct-09 19:05:58

I fed my cat Science Diet kitten food. I didn't mean to but the vet insisted I give it to the kitten. The kitten liked adult Science Diet and the cat liked the kitten food. Didn't do her any harm as she was skinny as anything anyway, and she did put on weight. (The kitten was fine too.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now