Talk

Advanced search

Help pleeeeease, my 12 week old pup wont stop nipping

(7 Posts)
pinkbraces Fri 23-Oct-09 13:22:25

We brought our gorgeous labradoodle home when she was 9 weeks, settled in really well. She does however, nip a lot of the time, and whilst we understand she is just a baby we dont know how to stop it. We distract with toys as well as saying a firm no and sometimes we put her out of the room for a few minutes. Nothing seems to be working and the DC are becoming nervous about playing with her. All advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

claricebeansmum Fri 23-Oct-09 13:31:28

We have a labradoodle. They are fab.

As for the nipping - this is a particularly bad time for teeth. whenever she nips you stand up and walk away and ignore her. Get up, walk out the room. She will soon learn that this behavior results in being ignored.

The other tack is to gently cuff her over the nose as her mother would have done for misdemeanors.

LittleRedCar Fri 23-Oct-09 13:32:28

My tried and tested method - and everyone has their own! - is to gently but firmly grab pup by its scruff when it does this, and give a very firm 'No!' at the same time.

I did this with my lab pup and he stopped within a week.

Good luck wink

LittleRedCar Fri 23-Oct-09 13:34:09

x post - never hit a dog on the face as it very quickly makes them head shy. In fact, don't hit them at all!

Bitches don't 'cuff' their pups, they scruff them with their teeth.

claricebeansmum Fri 23-Oct-09 13:41:21

I'm not saying hit the dog, just a gentle brush over the nose. Worked for us and our labradoodle isn't "head shy"

tibni Fri 23-Oct-09 15:29:22

My labrador puppy is 13 weeks and the nipping has almost stopped - well it has with me and dc's but he still sometimes sees dh as a plaything!

I did the yelp followed by turning my back and not playing - now just a Ahh sound from the other side of the room stops him in his tracks.

My ds (8)(ASD) doesn't pay too much attention to the puppy and the puppy has responded well to him, dd (10) was so excited, and I spent a lot of time making sure she wasn't over the top with puppy. Being calm around the puppy has also really helped.

We rotate his chew toys to keep them new and exciting.

Good Luck!

pinkbraces Fri 23-Oct-09 16:54:46

Thanks for your replies, I think we will try the scruff of the neck. Have just booked her in for puppy training classes, starting in a few weeks, so fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now