Talk

Advanced search

Do you think cats are genetically hard wired to recognise the sound of a can opening as food?

(5 Posts)
hobbgoblin Thu 22-Oct-09 20:42:14

I have noticed this before but today I opened a can of tomato soup for the poorly DC and in a flash our two cats were around my ankles expecting dinner. The thing is, they have never ever been fed canned food so it's not like they hear a can popping open and expect Whiskas to be served out of it.

Do your cats do this?

LittleRedCar Thu 22-Oct-09 20:59:56

I've never fed mine tinned food but they do come rushing when I open a tin.

Do you ever use tinned tune/salmon etc?

somewhathorrified Thu 22-Oct-09 21:04:35

Haha, mine get fed from a tin yet only the sound of the cat food tin opening gets their undivided attention. How can they tell the difference?

differentWitch Thu 22-Oct-09 21:07:58

I cn open any cupboard in the kitchen and they will ignore me. I open the cupboard I keep their food in and they are there. It's exactly the same as every other stupid cupboard, so how do they know.

bentneckwine1 Fri 23-Oct-09 00:14:38

My cat can smell chicken from the bottom of the garden!! He had just gone out yesterday morning and I was making my DS packed lunch...leftover chicken on rolls...the cat was back in a flash sitting on window sill meowing for attention!! DS ended up handfeeding the cat slivers of chicken to pacify him...whilst the dog waited waited patiently for any crumbs to be dropped.

Our cat and dog work as a team...the cat will spot something left on a plate on the worktop, he pushes large pieces over the edge to the waiting dog and then finishes off the crumbs on the plate. Has to be seen to be believed. They also do this with the plastic milk carton lids that I have washed for recycling...the cat manages to get the lid free from the draining board and knocks it onto the floor. Dog and cat then play chase round the floor trying to catch the lid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now