Talk

Advanced search

I'm bringing my GPs in for the winter - bedding advice needed!

(12 Posts)
ijustwant8hours Thu 22-Oct-09 11:08:47

I've decided to bring the GPs indoors for the winter, mainly to make looking after them easier grin.

I've put them in a wire and plastic hutch with carefresh and hay but its a big hutch and the carefresh is going to cost me a fortune. DH will moan like anything if they start to smell. What do you use for your indoor GPs?

clayre Thu 22-Oct-09 11:11:29

i use meadow hay for their bed that they also eat, and have sawdust on the bottom of the cage, they dont smell at all but i clean them out twice a week

clayre Thu 22-Oct-09 11:12:46

what is carefresh?

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Thu 22-Oct-09 11:13:40

grin didnt see topic and thought you were bringing your doctor in.i need more coffee.

OmniDroid Thu 22-Oct-09 11:16:58

I thought it was the GrandParentsgrin

ijustwant8hours Thu 22-Oct-09 11:47:44

Sorry for the confusion... putting the grandparents outside for the summer mmmm, tempting. grin

Carefresh is a kind of sawdust substitute, i think its made from recycled paper.

cheeryface Thu 22-Oct-09 11:52:42

newspaper with woodshavings on top

kingprawntikka Thu 22-Oct-09 13:27:13

I have recently got two guinea pigs. They are house pets. I have switched them from hay bedding to Ecopetbed. It is shredded cardboard and I get it from Earthly Enterprises. I line their cage with newspaper then put this on top. It seems to be a lot drier and cleaner now. I just remove the soiled bits of bedding each day. I really don't think mine smell. I make sure there is plenty of timothy hay in their hay rack to eat.

tibni Thu 22-Oct-09 17:56:28

We used shreddings from the paper shredder on top of a layer of newspaper. We then topped it with meadow hay. Our GP was a house GP and lived happily like this for his long (over 6 years) life.

whispywhisp Sun 25-Oct-09 17:24:49

Buy a decent paper shredder and shred newspapers...you can generate a massive bin bag of bedding this way just by shredding a few papers! The shredded newspaper is nice and soft, and warm, and very absorbant. I line the cages with sheets of paper, put shredded paper on top and then a layer of hay. Mine also live indoors and I clean them out every 3 days. I ask my neighbours for their papers so it doesn't cost me anything. I tend to steer clear of woodshavings/woodflakes because it can be quite dusty and can cause eye trouble with guineas. Carefresh is good but very expensive.

sanfairyann Sun 25-Oct-09 20:38:27

towels (can buy dead cheap or second hand) with a fleece blanket on top. stick in the wash every few days. great and dead cheap

MrsFarmer Fri 30-Oct-09 18:22:56

Our GP count is now 17 so there's no chance of DH agreeing to allow all of them in this winter. Really REALLY hope for a mild winter...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now