Talk

Advanced search

8 month old rescue pup not eating

(8 Posts)
mumofkyle Tue 20-Oct-09 17:17:20

We have had him 6 weeks and when fed him on Purina as told, he stopped eating that straight away. We brought a small box of Bakers complete and mixed a small amount in which he really enjoyed.

He now has more Bakers than his old food but will not eat unless there is meat mixed in then he is only picking the meat and a few of the biscuits.

He is very happy and still going to the toilet 3-4 times a day but I am worried that he is only, with persuasion (sp), eating 1 mug of biscuits a day.

Is this enough as he is full of energy and is so settled in.

We all love him dearly (even with the frequent toilet accidents!)

Sorry meant to say he is a Cocker Spaniel.

Thanks

GrimmaTheNome Tue 20-Oct-09 17:20:16

If he's healthy and excreting normally he's probably OK... a lot of feeding guides seem to vastly overstate what's really needed.

He's a smart enough dog to be trying to train you to feed him what he wants!

mumofkyle Tue 20-Oct-09 17:30:56

That was my worry but felt he had to have something! He is just having a spoonful of dog meat mixed in so hopefully not too bad.

Although he does love peppers, cucumber, carrots and peas - maybe he is vegetarian!

MuttOfTheBaskervilles Tue 20-Oct-09 17:37:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vallhala Tue 20-Oct-09 20:39:48

Try Naturediet (in pet shops and online) - comes in sealed plastic packs, no additives, a moist food high in protein which I've yet to see a dog decline. Bakers are notorious for the amount of chemicals/additives they put in their food, tbh I wouldn't give it to my dogs. There have been issues raised about the link between these additives and ill health, especially canine epilepsy.

Naturediet has worked to put weight on my too-slim and fussy GSD and is used similarly with the rescue I help out in, especially with dogs who have dodgy tums, are epileptic, need building up and so on.

As with any new food, introduce it gradually so as not to upset pooch's tum.

Hope this helps.

stleger Tue 20-Oct-09 20:54:51

dog preferred Bakers to anything when we got him, but will now eat Royal Canin. But only with something else mixed in....he will eat wet food or bits of 'human food' first. Then return later to the dry stuff. He will not eat dry alone. (We did the leave it for 10 minutes and remove, he won't starve routine).

Vallhala Tue 20-Oct-09 22:28:15

Lol stleger, mine do that too - I put it down to them just being fussy beggars.

Now I could of course just leave the dry stuff down and say 'get on with it, you'll eat it when you're hungry'. Problem is that I'm a soft touch and so they dine on a mix of CSJ and Naturediet, or as last night and this, best mince mixed in bought from Tesco as I hadn't got to the pet shop to stock up on Naturediet!

They have me well trained!

mumofkyle Wed 21-Oct-09 10:18:41

Thanks very much, I'll try the Naturediet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now