Talk

Advanced search

Need help with my new puppy.

(10 Posts)
BabyDubsEverywhere Tue 20-Oct-09 07:51:07

Need help with my new puppy.

We have a 9 week old puppy, this is our 3rd week together. I must say she is the best dog I have ever had, absolutly great. However, house training is an issue. Not in the normal ways though. After 3 days of being taken outside hourly she started to take herself out through the cat flap, so at 7.5 weeks she was pretty much house trained! shocking really. But the last few day she seems to have forgotten where she should go iyswim. Also if there is any thing on the floor, carrier bag? scatterd DVDs? Toys? she wees on them, or tries to before i get to her. Only started last few days though?

We havent had a crate, just done what we've done before with other dogs, slept downstairs with them until they sleep through. So was on sofa for first week. She has run of the kitchen and can get oout at night. But she seems to have stopped? I have no idea whats caused this. We dont have the money for a crate at the moment, but think im going to get one at the end of the month. DH bought a big box home last night and i wqas thinking of putting that in our room and taking her out in the early hours for a wee. Will this work for night time accident you think?

Any ideas for the day will be much appreciated.

wildfig Tue 20-Oct-09 08:15:31

Can she still get out of the catflap? Is it suddenly too small for her?

LittleRedCar Tue 20-Oct-09 09:02:52

Could something in the garden have spooked her?

BabyDubsEverywhere Tue 20-Oct-09 09:08:51

She plays out there for ages on her own, Shes a hoarder, she finds little things in the house and piles them up in the garden, her treats and toys, kids toys, dummys etc, I dont think shes scared of going out. and flys through the cat flap still. She does 'go' out there, and im still taking her out whenever she wakes up / after food. Even when the door is open she still goes through the cat flap bless her!

MitchyInge Tue 20-Oct-09 09:09:27

6 weeks was a bit young really to be leaving the dam and littermates

wildfig Tue 20-Oct-09 09:27:18

Are you getting rid of every last trace of wee from inside? If she can smell even the tiniest niff, it'll trigger her to wee there again; you need to use Simple Solution/bio washing powder/cleaning agent with no ammonia in it. Apols if this is old news - am going through house training here too, and seem to go through gallons of the stuff.

BabyDubsEverywhere Tue 20-Oct-09 09:44:28

She was 7 weeks, this is our 3rd week with her, as in she was 9 weeks old on Sudnady, we picked her up the day she turned 7 weeks, does that make sense?

We do use the Simple stuff from pets at home. She doesnt even go in the same place though. We havent used paper training just took her out back.

Do you think it was just a fluke to get house training so early? and that really she hasnt got it yet rather than back tracking?

BabyDubsEverywhere Tue 20-Oct-09 09:45:48

oh we were going to be picking her up the following sunday (8 weeks) but the rest of the litter had gone on the saturday and she was upset on her own so the owners asked us to get her early.

MitchyInge Tue 20-Oct-09 09:49:16

maybe just go back to taking her out hourly, rewarding when she goes etc - crate training probably will help overnight because of their innate reluctance to soil their bed, she had the hang of it so no reason why she shouldn't get it again

good luck!

minimu Tue 20-Oct-09 16:53:37

Well done with getting her to realise about training so quickly but I think you are right she had not really "got" it.

She is just a baby and has forgotten what to do. So back to the hourly outside I am afraid. Do not ever tell her off for weeing inside (however hard that is for you!)as this will slow things down. She will pick it up again very quickly but will need reminding for several months yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now