Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with hutch sweepings?

(6 Posts)
schilke Mon 19-Oct-09 14:13:39

I have 3 gps in a double hutch. During the Spring & Summer I put the old hay/wood shavings into the compost bin after I've cleaned the hutch. However at this time of year the compost bin activity starts to slow right down and I can't fit the hay in - I clean them out twice a week so there's quite a lot.

What do you do with it? I end up putting it into carrier bags and throwing in the bin. The trouble with that is we have fortnightly wheelie bin collections and my dustbin gets full up with hay!

There is a garden waste collection which you have to pay for, but that says no pet waste or sawdust.

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Mon 19-Oct-09 18:46:39

hi - i have had GPs for many years but i never use shavings - when i did i found they were allergic & got coughs & sore feet - anyway this is my method - use newspaper on bottom - lots of layers of 4xsheets - then just hay on top in sleeping area - each day remove top layer all over that is wet/dirty (sometimes 2 layers) top-up hay as necessary (as they eat it) once a week clean right out (if they go out during nice days then you can do it less often - maybe every 10 days) i put most of my waste in the green recycling bin which goes off to a council composter - in our area the bit about no pet waste refers to dog poo & cat litter trays - anything green (ie rabbits/GPs etc. is welcome)

123andaway Mon 19-Oct-09 19:23:45

I do exactly the same as Dolly - newspaper and hay. We never had any problems with shavings, I just find it much easier not to use them.

CybilCeremony Mon 19-Oct-09 19:25:27

We use ours as crumble topping

schilke Mon 19-Oct-09 20:16:39

Tasty Cybil!

I have used paper in the past, but found it was soggy quickly, but don't think I was as diligent as you ddd - probably only went to change newspaper every 4 days, by which time was sodden. Plus don't buy newspaper any more!

I have emailed local council because I thought it might have been referring to cat/dog waste.

I have the same problem, but have guinea pigs, rabbits and chickens. Compost bin is full. So am binning everything now but wheelie bin is always full of shit now.

Am tempted to do what my old neighbour used to do with dog poo - open the manhole cover and put it in the sewer. I reckon if I hosed it through it would get to the main sewer without blocking my pipe up. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now