GP with a small grape size lump(12 Posts)
One of my beloved gps has got a small grape size lump on her side. It does not seem to be painful. Any ideas or has someone seen this?
We have two vets in our area and not sure how much they know much about gps. If she had to have an op I'd want her to go to a gp specialist vet is one exists and I know they can die under general anaesthetic.
My guinea had to go to the vet this week and we asked for her to be seen by the rodent specialist, it would be worth phoning the vets and asking if any of them have a vet that specialises.
No idea what the lump could be, i hope shes ok.
Do you have a small animal rescue centre in your area? Might be worth contacting them for a recommendation. I got one via a friend who had spoken to a gp/rabbit sanctuary who always used a particular vet for gp neutering.
Guinea pigs often get lumps. Your guinea pig's may well be harmless, and it could be kidney stones. If it has a mineral/salt lick, take it out, as these can be caused by them, and dehydrate them. Unfortunately one of our guineas died from a large lump in her stomach, thought to be cancer, which is apparently a common cause of death for guinea pigs. I have, though, seen a guinea with a lump have it surgically removed, and pull through fine.
I had a female GP that had cystic ovaries. We caught it late and she didn't cope with the op but caught early they can be treated.
I would definitely get your pig checked. Lumps on pigs can easily mean abscess - they are very prone to them and all it takes is a small injury or foreign body to enter the body/pierce the skin and the abscess will form. I had a pig with an abscess just under the neck. He had to have it lanced twice. A very expensive operation and one he, unfortunately, didn't recover from. Abscesses do not go away on their own. They will fill up with puss and become heavily infected.
Thanks for your posts. I've managed to find a guinea pig vet and hope to take her on Saturday as I'm so worried that most vets won't know what to do.
Whispywhisp could you give me any more details? I'm now really worried that my little pig may die if something is done with the abscess... Could you also give me an idea of what the procedure entailed and the cost to have the abscess lanced?
My guinea had an abscess in his neck - just below the jaw bone. He got it, we think, from eating a sharp piece of straw/hay and once it pierced the inside of his mouth/throat it caused an infection.
I took him to the vet and they knocked him out and lanced it - it cost just over £100. It was a tricky operation because knocking a pig out can be very dangerous in itself because they are so small.
All went well after that first operation but I had to keep the wound open and push any remaining puss out for a good week or so afterwards and to bathe it and administer anti-biotics.
I did this until I noticed a second lump further down underneath his neck so I took him back again. He was, at this point, getting very thin, not eating or drinking and generally becoming very unwell so I asked for him to be put to sleep because it meant having a second operation to lance the second abscess and I didn't want to put him through this and there was no guarantee these abscesses wouldn't come up again.
I was told to give him a few more days 'just to see' if things calmed down - which they didn't so we did have him put down.
To be honest, by this time, I'd spent about £150 in vets bills. I had to draw the line at spending out any more plus, more importantly, I had to think of him and how he felt. OK so it was only a guinea pig but I could tell he'd had enough too.
Please let us all know how you get on with your pig at the vets? Good luck.
Thanks so much for the info and for what it's worth I think you did the best for you gp. Your thoughts echo what I've read on the piggie forums. Bascially, pigs don't do well after operations.
My dilemma is doing something sometimes makes it worse in terms of anaethetic etc as not many vets seem to be gp specialists and it is not in a place that is causing problems with eating and is not painful so could be left and may not cause any problems at all. However, I've made an appointment to take her to the Cambridge Cavy Trust and the lady there thinks she will only need a local anaesthetic...
We got a gp for each child - two smaller children lost interest quickly but teenager loves them to bits. It is DH and I that are totally in love with them now...
Hi silver...when is your appt with the cavy trust? It'll be interesting to see what they have to say.
Yes I think we did our best with William, the pig who we lost to an abscess. I don't think there are many pig owners who would pay huge vets bills for such a small animal - my DH certainly wasn't overly happy with me keep paying out on him but I always do try to give an animal a chance with a vet before I have to make that final decision. Unfortunately we don't have a bottomless pit of money so I had to draw the line somewhere plus I could tell he'd had enough and with a secondary abscess forming I knew he was not going to get any better.
Please let us know how you get on...has the lump got any bigger? Hope not. x
Even with a bottomless pit of money it is the kindest thing to have a pet down when they have had enough. You gave your piggie a fighting chance but in the end pigs are not robust and you acted in William's best interests as a loving pet owner.
I had a beautiful dog that got an autoimmune disease and a blood transfusion was needed. This did not help and the vet thought a second blood transfusion was less likely to help as she was getting weaker by the hour. Money was not a problem as she was insured (not heard of piggie insurance) but the kindest thing was to let her go as like you I knew she had had enough. After she was gone I was distraught but I knew I had acted in her best interests which is what loving pet owners do.
I'm taking my gp next week. It is a 160 mile round trip but think it will be worth it. The lump has not got bigger and causes her no pain. I'm hoping it can be lanced and will not need to be removed under anaesthetic as then I'll need to think about the risks and wonder if it is best to leave alone....
If it were an abscess it would be filling with puss so it would be getting bigger, so if its not getting any bigger for your pig that's a good sign. Could be a cyst or just a simply fatty lump. Is your pig eating and acting normally?
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.