Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone home reared kittens

(14 Posts)
thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 10:52:06

I have had to take over the role of mom to my cat's one and only kitten, as mommy cat turned agressive and i was advised by my vet to take him away.

My cat had lost kittens a few weeks before giving birth to this one and mom cat brought him back too life after been born dead, i was very proud of her, but mom turned on him, the kitten has been for a check up at the vet and he is healthy and a good weight, apart from his back legs which arent great, vet thinks this is due to mom been rough with him, sitting and standing on him

any advice would be great thnkyou

PlumBumMum Fri 16-Oct-09 10:56:09

my dh found a kitten it was only 4/5 weeks old, he's nearly a big cat now, his back legs don't look quite right either

We kept him in a box with a hot water bottle, he loved it, there was a recipe on a thread here how to make up milk for them, but I just got the kitten milk for mine or you can buy special stuff from vet

there is a picture of him on my profile,he is quite cheeky and healthy now so I must have done something right

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 11:00:30

aww that's great can he walk ok though??

He is only 8 days old and lovily, i have special milk from the vets, we have nearly mastered it but he keeps crying, i feel so sorry for him

PlumBumMum Fri 16-Oct-09 11:05:30

He can walk fine, someone had put him in a bin lorrysad

Yours is only little ahh, have you got a dropper to feed him
and definitly wrap a hot water bottle up for him to keep him warm

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 11:55:29

That's good, some people are disgusting, poor little kittie good job you found him

i feed him by bottle every 2 hours and he drinks 5 ml's but still has a problem with taking the bottle, he is not amused.

Hot water bottle, good idea, as he hasn't got the warmth of mom.

going to have a look at your profile pic now

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 11:58:01

aww he's gourgeous
loving the cakes, did you make them??

PlumBumMum Fri 16-Oct-09 12:02:29

Yeap shoe one is for SIL today

I would get a dropper from chemist and then you can drop milk right into his mouth

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 14:22:23

wow they are really good

I was a little nervous about taking him off her but it was a matter of letting mom keep her and see what happened or doing what i have done, as sometimes they don't survive but he seems to be doing well.

DUSTIN Fri 16-Oct-09 14:30:10

Hello, did your vet explain to you that you need to stimulate the kitten to wee and poo at this young age. It will definately have to have a source of warmth as they can easily become hypothermic. Good luck, it is hard but rewarding to hand-rear such a young kitten.

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 18:16:52

Hi,

No she didnt, but i found it out she passed wind on my towel and then poo'd and wee'd everywhere it was lovely lol grin

Thankyou both for advice smile

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 21:49:08

Any idea's why he keeps miaowing he is drivin me nuts, i have fed him,cuddled him, put him on the floor for exercise, i've got the heating on so he can't be cold, help!!!

PlumBumMum Fri 16-Oct-09 22:35:02

Use cotton balls soaked in warm water to rub around his bum to get him to poo,

Here is some info

jemart Fri 16-Oct-09 22:51:36

The mewing is a distress call - he is probably hungry and/or a bit cold.
I would get him cuddled up on a heat pad or hot water bottle and if he hasn't taken enough milk try offering a little more, he may go for it now.

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 16-Oct-09 23:07:34

The vet said he is only allowed 3.5 ml but i've given him 7 -8ml, do you think that is too much, i don't want him to starve.

I have fed him again,and know wrapped him up in a blanket. ok mixed post but y'all get it right??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now