Talk

Advanced search

Cat sneezing up lots of green stuff(sorry gross)

(5 Posts)
Totallyfloaty35 Thu 15-Oct-09 11:46:28

For last 4yrs my half siamese cat has been sneezing alot.When she does she sprays everyone with green snot,its horrid.We visit the vet roughly every 3 months,they give her antibiotics,it clears up for a while,then reappears.The vets have never scanned her or done tests,when i ask whats wrong they just say' this will clear it up". Im so fed up with it,i spend half my day scrubbing or washing wherever she has been sitting,no-one wants the poor thing on her lap as they get sprayed with gunk.She is 16yrs old,very kitten like, she can still leap from floor to top of door in one bound and eats properly etc.
The other thing is that she is really noisey,being half siamese she would be,i have been shutting her in the porch at night( its completely enclosed) with her bed,food etc as when indoors she wanders the house miowing at the top of her lungs or climbs into bed with a child,walks up and down on them purring and miowing.This of course wakes them up.With it getting colder i obviously dont want her out at night as porch has no heating.Any tips on getting her to be quiet?

girlywhirly Thu 15-Oct-09 12:33:08

I can't believe this condition has been allowed to continue this long, on treatment that is clearly not helping. You are entitled to a second opinion, even for an older cat, although other tests/treatments may be costly. I would guess (although I'm not qualified) that there is a long standing sepsis, and tests should have been done to identify the cause and the bacteria, so that specific antibiotics could be given. Bloods and a swab from the nose should have been taken, with your consent to treatment.

It's possible the constant mieowing is due to ear infection, linked to the nose discharge, and there could be scarring in the ear causing some hearing loss.

Have you considered seeking treatment from the Royal Veterinary College or other vet teaching clinic? They like unusual cases.

As I said, I am not a vet, I'm just considering what might be the problem. But for all your sakes, I think radical action is now needed. Good luck!

Totallyfloaty35 Thu 15-Oct-09 14:52:05

Thankyou girly,we have seen several vets,first ones i didnt really ask to test as thought problem would clear up.Then we moved ,first vet i saw in new practice said after 2nd time of seeing cat that if it returns she will look deeper,but she wasnt there next time(she went back to Canada)Longest gap without the sneezes is 7months,but it always comes back.
We seeing vet again tomorrow,cat is insured and always has been so its not like vets think it might be costly for us so i will insist on tests and not be fobbed off.
She is such a lovely,tolerant cat, i feel sad for her that no-one wants to hug her,i end up with an old sheet over me so i can still cuddle

jemart Mon 26-Oct-09 21:42:30

My Grandads cat was like this, it had an allergy to fleas.

ClivetheCatfish Mon 26-Oct-09 21:52:33

Completely unrelated to the snot issue, but maybe your cat is making your chis bark?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now