Talk

Advanced search

My cat has gone missing :(

(28 Posts)
PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 08:24:08

I just feel sick when I think about it. We have two cats, have had them for three years now. The other one went missing two years ago, and came back after 1 night - actually he came in at about 3am, seemed exhausted, and slept until dinner the next night, poor thing!

So when we didn't see second cat for breakfast yesterday we weren't too worried, but he's still not back... I can't help but think that's it, he has been hurt or killed and won't come back.

I am going to ring the vets at lunchtime when we are back from toddlers if there's still no sign, and DP will make some posters, but it just feels hopeless.

ClaireDeLoon Wed 14-Oct-09 08:37:37

He might be trapped in a shed or garage somewhere -is he a nosy cat who might wander in an open door to explore? I once trapped my own cat in the garage for over a day and was so worried.

I hope he comes back soon.

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 08:40:57

Thanks Clare, that is what we will ask on posters/leaflets - for people to check sheds etc. I think that happened with the other cat, but it was summer so seemed a bit different, and we'd not long moved, he could've been disoriented, but we've been here 2 years now.

And he's not really a wanderer, which has me worried... he spends most of his time asleep on my bed, or pottering in the garden chasing dragonflies and hunting mice hmm he is just so gentle and sweet though, lays ever so patiently while DS strokes him I keep telling our other cat to go and find him but he just stares at me hmm

shootfromthehip Wed 14-Oct-09 08:48:21

A wee 'tail' of hope for you- sorry I love a pun!

We went to visit my Mum and took our 2 cats with us. We were there for 10 days and the cats weren't allowed out. Stupidly on day 10, I left a window open and one of our cats got out. We looked everywhere, made posters and followed up on lots of phonecalls that weren't our cat. We then had to go home and accept that we would never see her again.

We moved house about 4 weeks later and moved about 300 miles away. One night my Mum phoned to say that she had had another phonecall about our missing cat. She went to investigate. It was her- she had been missing for 8 weeks and was skin and bone but it was her. Someone had rememebered seeing the poster in the local supermarket and had trapped her in their kitchen and gone to the shop for the phonenumber.

That was 8 yrs ago and she and her sister are still with us, fat and happy. They are both great pets and we are so lucky to have had her back.

They sometimes do turn up grin

Good luck x

thatsnotmymonster Wed 14-Oct-09 09:00:12

Another tale of hope here.

3 years ago our cat went missing. I didn't worry until he had been gone 2 nights. After 7 weeks missing we gave up hope. I found it so hard to accept he must have been run over and I couldn't move on!!

Then one stormy night after 10 weeks missing he came back- all fat and fluffy and with really long claws! I suspect someone had been keeping him inside and not let him out until they thought he would stay with them. He must've come home straightaway.

He never wanders now.

CMOTdibbler Wed 14-Oct-09 09:02:26

try and catch your postman, and ask them to keep an eye out - one of ours went missing last week, and we could not find her at all. Postlady saw her the next day on her rounds, told us, and we got her back that day.

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 09:13:55

Thanks for the stories, cats are such lovely pets aren't they? He would dribble when you stroked him, just sit there with his mouth half open, purring happiness

CMOT that is a good tip, thank you, our postman is v nice and friendly so will see if I can catch him. I am going out soon, would it be weird to leave a note on the door asking him to keep an eye out?

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 16:12:06

phoned the vets, a cat matching his description hmm was taken in yesterday having been hit by a car in the next road to us. So I have to go and check it's him can't believe my little cat is gone. Well he was DP's really, I chose the tabby, because he looked so scrawny and pathetic I just wanted to take him home, and DP was drawn to this little ginger scrap so we got both. He was so gentle and purry and lovely. Stupid bloody cats, there are acres of land behind the houses across the road (as in across our quiet road with no traffic) why the bloody hell did he go that way

CMOTdibbler Wed 14-Oct-09 16:24:51

Really sorry to hear that sad

ClaireDeLoon Wed 14-Oct-09 16:57:36

Oh I'm so sorry

eyetunes Wed 14-Oct-09 16:58:53

oh sad so sorry to hear that.

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 18:50:45

Thank you all. Just back from the vets, it was him, and I have brought him home. DP has dug a big hole and we're going to bury him when DS is in bed.

I feel very sad but also a huge sense of relief - knowing what happened seems so important to me. But then I hear the cat flap and still think it might be him, odd isn't it. Odd that we let these little furry things become our family. Before we had DS, all we ever took photo's of was the cats!

RIP Hurley xxx

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 18:51:34

Sorry for apostrophe <cringe>

I feel like I need a drink now, I hope it's not too overdramatic.

FABIsInTraining Wed 14-Oct-09 18:53:10

sad

I am so sorry.

SO many people on here seem to have lost cats lately. sad

shootfromthehip Wed 14-Oct-09 18:53:56

Oh PT- I'm gutted for you. What sad news. sad

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 18:57:28

Thanks FAB I know, it is terrible - maybe the darker evenings?

DP fed him on Monday night and then they both went out. Sometimes - but not always, or even mostly - one or both of them will come and sit on our laps by about 9.30 or 10 for a bit and it's always nice to see them before we go to bed. But they didn't on Monday, and I feel sad that it is a few days since I actually sat with him. I did have a nap blush on Sunday and he started off sleeping on my feet - but then came downstairs ans snuggled up to DS while he had a nap DP took a picture and all you can see is this big ginger furball wedged next to a huge toddler bum. Oh I will miss him.

My mum always had cats and when the last of them died she swore never again - I was about 15 at the time - and I too believed I'd never have pets because it's just too hard when they go. But they give you so much. I probably sound like a loon to a non-cat-person.

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 18:58:03

x-post, thank you sfth

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 14-Oct-09 19:01:32

you are not a loon, this is v sad sad for you, he was a family member

FABIsInTraining Wed 14-Oct-09 19:04:11

I had hundreds of photos of the cat pre-kids. Not so many afterwards. sad.

RIP Hurley xx.

LittleRedCar Wed 14-Oct-09 19:07:01

So, so sorry sad

differentWitch Wed 14-Oct-09 19:51:07

I'm so sorry- I've lost 2 cats to the road, Ebony and Paris. For ages I kept thinking i'd see them vanish around the corner, but it wasn't.

PoisonToadstool Wed 14-Oct-09 20:35:52

Thank you everyone xxx

englishpatient Thu 15-Oct-09 13:52:11

Oh no, I'm so sorry for you.

I am glad though that you did find out what happened to him. Not knowing is terrible.

One of my parents' cats went missing and we never found out what happened to her. I never stopped wondering and felt a sort of relief when it got to be so long ago that she would have been too old to be living anyway (does that make sense?).

PoisonToadstool Thu 15-Oct-09 14:42:11

Thank you, yes I do know what you mean - he was only 3 and I was saying exactly that to DP beforehand - how long do you stand at the bottom of the garden calling, shaking the box of biscuits and listening for a meow

I do feel a lot of comfort in having brought him home, we were a bit unsure about the decision but it was the right thing to do. The vet also recommended that we show him to our other cat so he might too stop looking for him, that was hard and DP found it very distressing but I do think it was for the best. I am glad he is here, where he was very happy and very loved. We are renting though so a slight unease about leaving him the future, but still he was very happy here even if we move on, maybe we will plant something that we could take with us.

DS keeps saying 'kitty' and shrugging his shoulders and pointing out the window it's breaking my heart. Our other cat is lovely but not affectionate like Hurley was - he is cuddly with me but very skittish and wary of DS, I feel so terrible for him.

englishpatient Thu 15-Oct-09 15:16:18

Maybe your other cat will get more affectionate now? That happened with our little female when her brother was no longer with us - she became a bit braver (he was a bit mean to her!).

We have planted a special little shrub over our lovely boy cat and will be buying another for our little girl (only buried 2 weeks ago sad ). I like feeling they are here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now