Talk

Advanced search

When to introduce the dogs to the kittens?

(3 Posts)
seaglass Tue 13-Oct-09 19:16:46

I've just acquired 2 kittens today, I think they're about 6 - 8 weeks.
I also have two dogs. Do I let the kittens settle in longer before trying to introduce them, or is it best to get it over and done with?
Also, any tips on introductions would be good

seeyounexttuesday Tue 13-Oct-09 21:14:54

do it tommo and bring the dogs out one by one, holding their collars tight! Just let them have a sniff and then separate again. Do the same with other dog, and then do this several times over several days. They will soon get used to eachother.

frostyfingers Wed 14-Oct-09 11:41:57

3 years ago our 6 week old kitten marched up to our lab, hissed and spat, and marched away. Best of friends since! Now her kitten, who we've hand reared and is 3 weeks old will soon be introduced.

At the moment the two labs look at him as though he's a little snack so they won't be meeting until he's old enough to hiss and scratch - and shin up the nearest curtains!

Just make sure the dogs are not left with the kittens until you're absolutely certain they're ok - the dogs could corner and frighten them. It shouldn't take long until the cats are in charge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now