Talk

Advanced search

Over protective GSD

(5 Posts)
McDie79 Sun 11-Oct-09 18:46:44

Hi,can anyone help me with this dilemma

Our 4.5 year old German shepherd has really changed her temprement since we brought DD home (11 weeks old)

She is great in the house and with the baby(although I would never leave any animal alone with my tiny girl), The problem is outside...I used to be able to let her run free in the garden,did'nt even have to close the gate,she would have a bark at people/dogs going past but now she is really aggresive and last week jumped over the fence and took a jack russell by the throat,luckily it was ok

I cant trust her off the lead now either,anyone know of any re-training techniques???

DailyMailNameChanger Sun 11-Oct-09 18:51:09

At the risk of sounding like the MNPets broken record...

Pop her to the vet and ask them to refer you to a good behaviourist. She is taking her duties a bit too seriously by the sound of it! I would recommend you don't try out anything you hear/read on the internet as it is easy to make a confused dog much worse!

Presumably before this she was a reliable dog? If so then she should be again, just get some help and put the time in!

Good luck smile

LittleRedCar Sun 11-Oct-09 18:52:57

Agree - need to rule out possible physical causes (e.g. phantom pregnancy) then get referral to qualified behaviourist.

Good luck.

thighsmadeofcheddar Sun 11-Oct-09 18:53:12

Yes agree with DMNC. We have a GSD who did this and we took him to our trainer who is working with us to get him under control.(He's great with people, just aggressive with other doggys).

McDie79 Wed 14-Oct-09 01:39:48

Hi thanks for replies,going to vets at end of week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now