Talk

Advanced search

6 month old labrador puppy - poo is always runny

(8 Posts)
star1976 Sat 10-Oct-09 11:18:00

Have tried all different sorts of foods and have finally got him to adapt to eating dry food which he initially hated.

But his poo's are still runny a lot of the time and a nightmare to clean up off the grass, meaning that I can't let the kids on there.

Any idea's on how to help sort his poo out??

tibni Sat 10-Oct-09 11:53:16

Just a thought but could you restrict puppy to a concrete area. We have an 11 week labrador puppy and we have a temporary barrier and only let him on the grass after he has done his poo.

We were told that puppys poo less on quality food as more is absorbed. We use Arden Grange puppy food - dried but we soak it first.

Sorry I have no idea on why puppy is so runny but there is a good labrador forum which may be worth checking out.

madusa Sat 10-Oct-09 12:47:32

have you tried nature diet?

daisydotandgertie Sat 10-Oct-09 12:52:57

Constantly runny poo definitely doesn't sound right. Is he going frequently during the day, or does he have a predictable poo schedule? And is he otherwise fit and healthy?

Which foods have you tried? Labradors do sometimes have problems digesting wheat or rice. Burns do a potato based one which has certainly solved a similar problem with both a lab and a spaniel I know of.

Just a thought though - is he a hoover up everything sort of dog? Is it possible he has found a regular source of something vile? The vile things they just love sometimes just don't love their digestive systems.

fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Sat 10-Oct-09 13:03:37

We also use Arden Grange. My Spaniel gets runny poo if he gets too much food. Try reducing the amount for a couple of days.

LittleRedCar Sat 10-Oct-09 14:01:19

Check the amount you are feeding - over feeding is a very common cause of runny poo in pups.

star1976 Sat 10-Oct-09 15:29:48

Thanks will try the limiting diet thing, he is def a hoover, will eat anything and everything!!!!

minimu Sat 10-Oct-09 17:47:50

A nightmare to sort out and pick up after! Been there myself. Has he always had runny poo? I would take him to the vet just to check out parasites, and camplyobacter and worms. Usually a blood test. When you get that back clear hopfully then you can look at diet.

More and more dogs are being allergic to cereals so you may want to try a potato based food. Sometimes feed just chicken and rice home cooked and then add food and it is easy to see the culprit. This can take a while to sort out. Also as alreay mentioned over feeding will cause runny poos. So the thinner the dog gets the more you feed and the thinner the dog gets! So give less food and see how you get on. I would stick to one of the better quality food at the moment
Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved ( a bit of a marmite food) and if really wealthy orijeen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now