Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else chicken mad?

(22 Posts)
seaglass Fri 09-Oct-09 13:20:53

Or just me blush
I've got about 30 at the moment, and think they are very nearly the best pets in the world ever.
Hope it's not just me, or I'm going to come across as a bit mad

bramblebooks Fri 09-Oct-09 13:30:32

Yes! I've just bought two more, taking us up to 6 - but would love more!

Omlet have a great forum to chat chicken!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 09-Oct-09 16:56:07

i wouldnt say i was chicken mad

but happy to eat their eggs

free range DO taste better!!!

beautifulgirls Fri 09-Oct-09 19:55:03

There is a whole section on mumsnet for chicken keepers - you might like to take a look over there
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/chicken_keepers

seaglass Sat 10-Oct-09 13:51:59

Ooh! Thankyou - hadn't spotted that

EverythingPony Mon 12-Oct-09 13:25:01

We got some a couple of years ago, my daughters class had an incubator, they waited for the eggs to hatch, had their pic took with a chick, but that was it. Health and safety took over and the chicks went straight to a farm. So we got a few, we have about 30 nows, kids love them, but we must be doing something very wrong cos we get 2 eggs a day??

Chickenshavenolips Mon 12-Oct-09 13:27:08

I adore my hens! grin I have five pekins and two bantam silkies. They all have names, are all real characters and regularly tap on the back door looking for treats grin I am irrationally drawn to anything with a chicken on it, even if it's hideous....

GentleOtter Mon 12-Oct-09 13:31:33

Normally I quite like them but not today.

thesockmonsterofdoom Mon 12-Oct-09 13:32:34

Me, I got 2 new girls at the weekend and they are gorgeous. I now have 10. never have enough though.

Chickenshavenolips Mon 12-Oct-09 13:33:43

We're moving, and when I view a house one of the first things I look for is a garden with enough space for more hens blush I don't tell DH this, of course....

mice Mon 12-Oct-09 13:35:54

I have just two - but get 2 eggs a day from them - and they are currently sat on my back door looking into the kitchen to see if I have any treats for them!! Real personalities - best pets we have ever had!!

seaglass Mon 12-Oct-09 13:42:41

everythingpony we are the same - so many chickens, so few eggs - honestly, they think it's a holiday camp! (actually, it's cos we've got so many growers - in the next couple of months I won't know what to do with all the eggs!)
Nice to know other people love their chooks as much as I do

spugs Mon 12-Oct-09 13:51:40

I only have a tiny back yard so no chickens for me sad
when we finaly move somewhere with a garden though Id like to have a few. Can you have them if you live in a built up area?

Chickenshavenolips Mon 12-Oct-09 13:53:14

Check your deeds, spugs wink I told my neighbours my plans, and they were fine. Also, I keep bantams, which are technically an ornamental breed, so it could be argued that they're not livestock.....

Madsometimes Mon 12-Oct-09 14:01:35

Yes, there are lots of urban chicken keepers. My chooks are lovely, every time I open the back door, Scarlett makes a mad dash into the house! They also will allow you to pet them. They are as soft as a cat to stroke, which is great because dd1 and dh are allergic to cats!

seaglass Mon 12-Oct-09 14:15:13

Silkies don't look much like chickens, and are very quiet, so you could get away with them - I took some of mine into school, and the children thought they were rabbits!

Chickenshavenolips Mon 12-Oct-09 14:20:30

My silkies often get mistaken for persian cats when they sunbathe! grin

seaglass Mon 12-Oct-09 14:22:40

They are beautiful
What colour silkies have you got?
I've got gold ones, they've just grown their fluff back after moulting and look gorgeous! We had entered a couple in a local show, but couldn't take them, as they looked really bald and motheaten at the time

Chickenshavenolips Mon 12-Oct-09 14:42:05

I have a blue and a partridge(ish) They are beautiful, but not very smart hmm My pekins regularly watch them in amazement as they get themselves lost or stuck somewhere grin

TheDevilEatsBabies Mon 12-Oct-09 14:45:27

i'm a chicken obsessive too, can i join in? grin

mine currently live with their dad cos we split up and my new house has a postage-stamp back garden (and 2 cats)
i have visiting rights, but i'm thinking about movingthem into the land at the back of the shop.
i have 6 of various colours.
(black, white, ginger, grey and 2 stripey)

seaglass Mon 12-Oct-09 15:05:47

Ooh! Love stripy ones

Silkies don't seem to be the brightest! Ours are always out later than the other breeds, then cower in the middle of the field waiting for us to trip over find them.
We hatched out some pekins, but then sold them, as I couldn't be doing with the squabbles - they always seemed to be at the centre of any trouble!
The breed we try to concentrate on are Faverolles - they are gorgeous, and so friendly. We need another cockeral though, as our boy got too fierce and had to go. (He was very tasty though!)

VetMedStudent Sun 25-Oct-09 19:06:15

hello. Im actually in university accomodation right now and i think the worst thing was leaving my 20 chickens at home. Im thinking about getting an indoor chicken (no not really) but not sure what my flatmates would say.... maybe a fish instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now