Talk

Advanced search

Can we go away for 5 days & leave 9 wk old kittens?

(27 Posts)
missismac Fri 09-Oct-09 08:52:16

Next friday we are due to collect our 8wk old kittens from the breeder. the Friday after that we've booked to go away for 5 days (terrible planning I know, but sometimes things just turn out that way). We have really good neighbourly support and could probably arrange for someone to come in 3 times a day to feed & pet them, but my question is; is it fair on them to leave them alone for such long periods, particularly at night when they're so young?

Does anyone have any experience of doing this, or is it an absolute no, no?

My instinct is, no - they're too young- phone the breeder & see if she can keep them for another couple of weeks. My daughter (13) is gutted 'cos she just wants them as cute & fluffy as possible, and preferably now! What to do for happiness all round?

I haven't had a kitten for about 16 or 17 years btw, so have forgotten what it's really like.

AvengingGerbil Fri 09-Oct-09 08:54:21

Too young. Don't do it. At 8 weeks they will be imprinting on you as their mother and five days will be like abandonment again, having just been taken from their cat-mom.

(I wouldn't leave my 11 yr old cats to the care of neighbours for five days. They get lonely and stray.)

Tortington Fri 09-Oct-09 08:54:52

phone the breeder

from mother to empty home is a bit much

Lovemyshoes Fri 09-Oct-09 08:56:53

In my opinion it would be a No. They need lots of cuddles etc constantly for the first few months in my experience, and I've had cats all my life.

I think this time is crucial for them to settle in etc.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

I'll have them for you, but, you may never get them back grin and, what kind are they?

Joolsiam Fri 09-Oct-09 09:00:11

Absolutely not IMO

Also, 8 / 9 weeks is very young - normal practice would be for a reputable breeder organise kitten vaccinations at 9 and 12 weeks, then let them go to their new homes at 13 weeks.

I would be extremely wary of any breeder who lets cats go earlier than that, and please bear in mind that, if you get them that early, they won't have been vaccinated so you should limit their contact with other people and animals and keep them indoors.

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 09-Oct-09 09:06:58

aww poor kitten

MookySpinge Fri 09-Oct-09 09:08:01

shock

DailyMailNameChanger Fri 09-Oct-09 09:14:50

Phone the breeder and tell your daughter that the major part of having animals is doing what is right for them not what is best/easiest/most enjoyable for yourself.

It really is too young sad

ChilloHippi Fri 09-Oct-09 09:16:14

That's too young and would be irresponsible of you. Can you ask the breeder to keep them for a bit longer until you get back?

Pyrocanthus Fri 09-Oct-09 09:39:37

No. The welfare of the pets must come first, and that's a useful lesson for a child.

missismac Fri 09-Oct-09 13:19:49

Thanks all,
It is actually what I wanted to hear, I told daughter last night that it would be better for the kittens if we collected them when we got back from holiday. You've confirmed my instincts on this are true. I'll definitely be asking the breeder to hold on to them for another couple of weeks.

DaileyMNChanger, Yes, I've already had that conversation with daughter. She burst into tears, sobbed it wasn't fair that she always has to compromise, blah, blah, blah (can you tell I don't feel shedloads of sympathy?). TBH I was a bit disappointed in her response. She's usually a sensitive girl & I really thought she'd be able to see that it was in the best interests of the kittens. I'm putting part of her tears & (now) sulking down to teenage hormones, and part of it down to being a selfish madam who hasn't had a lot of disappointments in her life (note to self: must be harder with kids)!

Anyway, it's a good lesson, kittens are for life etc.etc.

Thankyou very much for all your opinions and helping me to get a sane perspective on this.

Pyrocanthus Fri 09-Oct-09 13:24:25

No, of course she's disappointed, what child wouldn't be? But you're helping her to learn responsibility.

modmum Fri 09-Oct-09 13:31:58

No, much too young. We took our 10wk old kittens to MIL (with us) for the weekend rather than leave them. MIL not best pleased when kittens scrapped her new wallpaper. MIL dog very happy but confused as to why he suddenly had THREE feline friends.

Slambang Fri 09-Oct-09 13:55:51

what about a friend actually house sitting for you or keeping the kittens at their place while you are away? That way you can have the lovely baby stage and the kittens don't miss human contact for 5 days.

brokenrecord Fri 09-Oct-09 14:04:02

We got our kittens at 13 weeks and they were still very babyish... so much so that I felt almost like I was going out and leaving young children alone in the flat...

Explain to her that a lot of people think 8 weeks is really too yong to leave their mother, and she won't miss anything by waiting.

FABIsInTraining Fri 09-Oct-09 14:04:57

It is mean to do this imo.

Kittens are like babies and need you.

Why not collect them after your holiday?

FABIsInTraining Fri 09-Oct-09 14:05:39

And as for your dd, I assume she realises they won't be small and cute for long??

brokenrecord Fri 09-Oct-09 14:05:57

Also, yes - if they are pedigrees any reputable breeder will not let them go before 12 weeks minimum, so do beware if that's the case.

Squishabelle Fri 09-Oct-09 14:21:29

Why the h* did you plan a holiday/plan to get kittens at the same time? I just dont understand shock

missismac Fri 09-Oct-09 14:39:07

Sqishabelle, holiday planned months ago, have been looking for the 'right' kittens for a couple of months, these two came up. They're from a reputable breeder with good recommendations and tbh when she first said they'd be ready to collect next Friday I didn't connect with the holiday. In my mind holiday was still a month or more away. I guess I'm just not a super organised person- that kind of stuff sometimes happens to me - doesn't it to anyone else? I guess not to you, or you would understand.

missismac Fri 09-Oct-09 14:41:07

slambang, I did consider that, but actually still feel it wouldn't be fair on the kittens, & might be confusing for them. It's best all round if they stay with the breeder.

VetMedStudent Sun 25-Oct-09 19:10:34

Hi.
Ive never done this but, honestly, i wouldnt. I cat sit quite frequently and a family in the village (a very stupid family but not only because of this) left their 8 week old cats with me for OMG 21 days!!!! what is that all about?! i spent about 5 hours a day with them, which ISNT ENOUGH at all.

I think if its only 5 days it should be okay if you can find them someone to stay with,. i would think the best situation is a live in cat sitter but that would be pricey unless it was someone you know...? I absolutly loved it tho, i suddenly had the run of a house and these two adorable kittens who bonded with me and not their own family, but thats because the family were gone so long.

Also, sadly, the family didnt follow my advice for not gettying their cats run over (they were new to the road and i am not) and as a follow through, both cats died. i was so so angry.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 26-Oct-09 05:59:03

I'm with those who say get the breeder to keep hold of them. I do understand the timing thing, these things happen but really it will be much better to wait.

whispywhisp Mon 26-Oct-09 12:02:28

What's an extra couple of weeks when you're going to (hopefully) have them for many years?

EightiesChick Mon 26-Oct-09 12:08:31

Everyone's right, don't upset them by this disruption so young. Tell your daughter they will miss you and be crying for you while you're away. Does she want them to go through that? Keep them with the breeder.

VetMedStudent, I am angry reading about the death of two cats through their owners' stupidity. How awful. Hope they didn't get more animals.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: