Talk

Advanced search

Fireworks and pets - advice here

(5 Posts)
FlightAttendant Thu 08-Oct-09 19:42:54

I had this little list in an email from a pet supplies company and thought it was quite informative, so here you go if you are wondering what to do with your pets on bonfire night:

Ensure your pet is safely inside and secure doors, windows and cat flaps
Allow your dog or cat to hide in a bolthole where they feel safe. You can further increase this feeling of security by using a plug-in diffuser which releases canine (D.A.P.®) or feline (Feliway®) pheromones
Make sure your dog or cat is microchipped or tagged. If they do escape, frightened animals can easily get lost
In the run up to firework season, ensure dogs are used to being taken for walks early in the evening and cats are provided with litter trays
Draw curtains, play music and/or have the TV on to help mask the noise of fireworks
Ignore any fearful behaviour and do not try to comfort your pet. A dog may pick up anxiety and this can make the problem worse. Cats prefer to be left to cope on their own.
Do not punish your pet. This only confirms that there is something to be afraid of
Try not to go out while fireworks are going off. Seeing you acting normally will help your pets feel more settled

HTH smile

seaglass Thu 08-Oct-09 20:17:38

I can confirm that the DAP plug-in works and would completely reccommend it, but if anyone wants to use it, you need to plug it in 2 weeks before the fireworks so that the dopeyness has a chance to build up

valhala Fri 09-Oct-09 00:34:33

Not making an issue of it also works as pets (ime dogs especially) pick up on your anxiety.

If all else fails and your larger pet (ie dog, I don't know if vets can prescribe for smaller pets), is very distressed you can ask your vet to prescribe drugs, to be given in advance. Often vets will prescribe ACP which also controls travel sickness..... it will make a dog dopey but it can stop excessive fear over fireworks. Beware though that SOME dogs can become aggressive on ACP.

Anyone who is as hacked off as I am about little oiks scaring our pets, behaving irresponsibly with fireworks and putting others at risk in the process might like to search the web for petitions to the government to ban their use except in organised displays.

Over the past few years such petitions have been set up... ok, they haven't been successful as yet but I HAVE seen success with petitions for animal welfare and if we don't make a stand and get our voices heard, the powers that be will be none the wiser and nothing will be done. It may seem a waste of time now, but if enough people campaign there is hope... if we all sit at home and worry, medicate our pets and fear for everyone's safety but do nothing we won't have a chance of being heard.

minimu Fri 09-Oct-09 08:40:08

Most dogs can get better with fireworks if treatment starts early. As Valhala says do not cuddle, comfort your dog as this really does confirm to them that the fireworks are really really scary. Give them a safe place to go to a covered cage (obviously let in air!)is a good idea or sometime a cosy den behind the sofa and act normal yourself!

There are some fabulous desensitising cd basically they have fireworks on them and you play them really quietly at first and then gradually over a long period of time get them louder until the dog just ignores them.

To desensitive a dog though takes time and it will be too late for this year but by starting now you could have a stress free dog for the new year celebrations though!

FlightAttendant Fri 09-Oct-09 09:52:29

Valhala, forgive me for asking but I am wondering if I know you...if the words 'Nutcracker' mean nothing to you then I don't! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now