Talk

Advanced search

Do you think its cruel to have a dog in a flat?

(22 Posts)
sugardumpling Wed 07-Oct-09 15:56:08

Hi, me and DC's would love a dog but DH is totally refusing because we live in a flat and he thinks it would be cruel, and that it just wouldn't work out. We live right next to a big park btw. What do you think?

JeMeSouviens Wed 07-Oct-09 15:58:55

I live in a city, loads of people have dogs in apartments here, even the larger variety. It is all up to the owner taking it out for the toilet, morning and night, and walking it every day, probably more than once, if you can put up with that, it'll be fine. Are you home during the day or do you work? Mind you plenty round here work and dog is in all day, not sure if they go home at lunch to let them out though.

controlfreakythecontrolfreak Wed 07-Oct-09 16:02:09

just because some people do that doesn't make it a good idea! dogs are sociable animals and it's cruel to leave them alone all day on their own.... sd, if you are around to look after dog i don't think the flat is itself an insuperable problem.... but you'd need to chose your type of dog carefully...

pofacedandproud Wed 07-Oct-09 16:03:31

I think whether you are in enough to walk it is key. Are you allowed to have pets in flats, even if you own it sometimes there are restrictions in the lease.

sugardumpling Wed 07-Oct-09 16:06:11

I'm more than willing to take it for walks, I'm a SAHM at the moment but am going back to work in Jan, my jobs just round the corner from where we live and i'm only part time, plus my brother has offered to dog sit if we do get one. Just think my DH is being really arsy about it angry

MrsJohnDeere Wed 07-Oct-09 16:06:30

Not necessarily cruel if the dog gets walked a lot each day. Mine can go for days without actually going into our garden -unless I'm outside he has no interest in going there (but he gets good walks in open fields, most of it off lead). Plus some breeds don't need that much exercise.

Might be very inconvenient though. There are occasions - invariably in the middle of the night - when my dog needs to go outside to poo or vomit because he's eaten something that disagreed with him or is unwell. Can't imagine mine holding on whilst I got dressed, found a lead, and then took him to the park.

pofacedandproud Wed 07-Oct-09 16:11:54

we always had dogs when i was a child [in houses] and they never, ever, had a poo or a pee in our garden. I can't understand people who let their dogs do that, revolting. [not talking about emergencies obviously though we were lucky in that regard!]

sugardumpling Wed 07-Oct-09 16:13:45

We do have quite a large balcony if it was desperate as you say MrsJohnDeere. It just annoys me because his sister has a dog and she has a fairly large house and garden but she rarely takes the dog for a walk, just lets her out in the garden, I personally don't think thats right (she has a westie ) I was looking at getting a Bichon Frise

pofacedandproud Wed 07-Oct-09 16:14:51

do you have children? Can't they be a bit snappy and highly strung?

sugardumpling Wed 07-Oct-09 16:20:10

I have a 10 year old and a 3 year old, I read they were really good with kids, and someone recommended the breed to me

pofacedandproud Wed 07-Oct-09 16:20:46

oh ok.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 07-Oct-09 16:21:35

Bichon Frises are tiny aren't they - can't imagine they need much walking.

I have a troublesome springer with many unpleasant habits which perhaps makes him more prone to night-time emergencies than most other breeds.

I wouldn't get a puppy though - they will need to go out a lot and at short notice in the early weeks.

tearinghairout Wed 07-Oct-09 16:23:55

Depends a lot on the dog, but most aren't content to be confined most of the time. Mine is an 8 yo collie and she still chews when she'd bored.

pofacedandproud Wed 07-Oct-09 16:25:01

God yes don't get a collie [know them well]

sugardumpling Wed 07-Oct-09 16:28:14

Was looking a rescue dogs as well but most of them can't be re-homed with children under a certain age

ArghhhhmazingBouncingSpider Wed 07-Oct-09 16:34:00

I have a staffordshire bull terrier and we live in a flat, she goes out every day and the days im at work my dad comes and gets her.
I dont think she finds it horrible, she's not destructive or anything.
We are lucky because we also have a garden and im not at all shy about going down there in my pj's and slippers late at night but then again im also not at all shy about usually making DH do it!!

sugardumpling Wed 07-Oct-09 16:42:31

Oh I love staffies, all the ones I've known have been lovely, and I would have one but DH dosn't like them at all. sad

ArghhhhmazingBouncingSpider Wed 07-Oct-09 16:53:45

Yup, she is lovely and certainly one of a kind!

sugardumpling Sun 11-Oct-09 09:04:14

hi just wanted to add, my SIL has now asked us if we want her Westie, shes only had her since June but has now decided that no-one has time to walk her (even though she only works part time, my BIL is a cab driver, so flexible in his hours, and my 2 nieces are aged 14 and 11 and could take her for a walk?) Anyway she is thinking of taking her back to the breeder if we don't have her . Don't know what to do for the best really, my DH has said (rather reluctantly) that we could have her but I know he's not happy about it. I feel so sorry for the dog.

girlsyearapart Sun 11-Oct-09 09:18:54

Also have a lovely Staffie.

Had him in a flat when he was a pup but only cos I knew that we were shortly moving to a ground floor place with garden.

Would prefer him not to go to toilet in garden but he goes to poo absolutely loads so even with once/twice daily walks he'll still need the garden.

TBH it was a bit of a pain to have to carry him down to go to toilet everytime.

Cies Sun 11-Oct-09 09:24:33

Just wanted to add more re: flats. I live in a city where most people live in apartments and many have dogs, us included. We take our dog out for pee/poo walks (just round the square) at least 4 times a day plus a proper walk including off the lead time (about an hour and a half). I don't think that's cruel at all.

However, there are people who train the dog to pee in their shower or in a litter tray and only actually take them out once or twice a day - I do think that is not the best life for a dog.

So it all depends on how you do it really.

I know a couple of people with Westies. IME they can be a bit yappy so you might have an issue with neighbours etc (although you obviously know this particular dog already).

I would say that if your DH is going into this under duress it might be hard for you all. In our case I would find it very difficult to do all the walks on my own (especially the late night one)

sugardumpling Sun 11-Oct-09 16:14:43

Thanks Cies, totally agree about it being difficult, we have spoken about it again today and he's still not happy with having the dog so we have decided to tell his sister no. thanks to everyone for all your replys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now