Talk

Advanced search

Any experiences with electric/magnetic cat flaps?

(10 Posts)
hotCheeseBURNS Tue 06-Oct-09 13:40:03

We'd like to get a fancy cat flap that stops neighbourhood cats from getting in but we're on quite a tight budget, can anyone recommend or warn against one?
Thanks

mejon Tue 06-Oct-09 16:20:33

We have a Staywell magnetic catflap. Our cat sometimes has difficulty getting in as he hasn't quite got the hang of making sure his head goes in first (as opposed to feet). Unfortunately our neighbour's cat has no problem - he just bangs straight through with no magnet and even with the locks on. He did it with such force one night that I got up the following day to find the actual flap on the utility room floor - he'd knocked it completely off its hinges. Managed to get it back on though. We now keep a log in the outside bit overnight (with the locks on - ours stay in at night) to stop the bugger getting in.

Replacement magnets are quite pricey - around £7 I think - so if you have a cat that regularly loses it's collar like ours it can get pricey. That cat now has no magnet and sits at the window to be let in!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 08-Oct-09 15:21:18

friend has one - will try and find out name of it

she had a slight mishap with it the first time she used it

came home to find kitchen full of cats - and her moggy on the doorstep miaowing sadly sad

she somehow twisted/made magnet work the opposite way

so all cats could get in, apart from hers with the collar grin

problem was solved and all seems fine now

sweetnitanitro Thu 08-Oct-09 15:31:12

I had one but my cats kept losing their collars (and the magnets) and it cost too much to keep replacing them. Also I found it wasn't that great and sometimes it would take them a few attempts to get in. I can't remember what make it was, sorry.

hotCheeseBURNS Sun 11-Oct-09 18:33:43

Thanks! I'm fairly put off getting one now! I have seen a really expensive electric one which works using the cat's microchip and looks quite good, it's over £100 though!

RubysReturn Sun 11-Oct-09 18:42:12

My friends cat came in with a load of cutlery stuck to its collar grin. Not sure where he had been but the 3 forks and a knife certainly slowed him down!

Wonderstuff Sun 11-Oct-09 18:45:14

We made the mistake of giving our cat an metal water bowl, couldn't understand what all the noise was in the kitchen, poor thing dragging this bowl around by its neck...

FABIsInTraining Sun 11-Oct-09 18:48:00

We have one and it has never caused any problems apart from when one the kids locked the cat in/out. Can't remember.

It is a staywell one.

watch for other things sticking to the magnet...

snigger Sun 11-Oct-09 18:51:50

We had one, it worked fine : until the day I came home early from work and found the flea-ridden neighbourhood bike moggy in my kitchen eating Gillespie's (our cat) lunch - sporting the exact same staywell magnet.

Take a walk, check out the neighbours doors, and buy a different brand grin

NorbertDentressangle Sun 11-Oct-09 19:02:28

We had a succesion of Staywell ones (straightforward magnetic ones and then one where only specific, programmed magnets work) but TBH we had endless problems and I was forever writing to/phoning Staywell for replacement parts, repairs, general complaining purposes.

In the end we just never put another catflap in and do without one now as we got fed up of other cats coming in and spraying everywhere.

Our neighbour has one of the new expensive ones triggered by the cat's micro-chip. Shes been really pleased with it I think but they are not perfect as our cat managed to get through somehow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now