Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Buying first bunny for DC - need advice!

(16 Posts)
lyndysue Mon 05-Oct-09 23:05:00

DC has a hutch which is 3.5 feet long by 2 feet wide and has a ramp down to a run underneath. We have been to a breeder to look for a baby but DC has seen two dwarf lop sisters who are 8 weeks old and I'm really keen to get both for her. Would they live in this size hutch OK?

123andaway Tue 06-Oct-09 07:10:57

I've just bought a 10 week old dwarf lop girl. She's lovely! Apparently the dwarf refers to the size of the ears, and not the size of the rabbit, they grow to 2-2.5 kgs.

My little girl has a 3 foot cage, however she does spend all day in the run with the guinea pigs, so the hutch is really for sleeping and bad weather. Im planning to let her have run of the garden when she is bigger in the spring, so long as I can convince the cat she's not lunch!

lyndysue Tue 06-Oct-09 13:17:56

Thanks 123 - anyone else know what size of hutch would be acceptable?

TanStan Tue 06-Oct-09 13:42:52

Hi, just to let you know, rabbits make brilliant house pets. i had a house rabbit, it was litter trained and i let it out in the garden in the day. they really do make fantastic house pets! alot like cats. only advice for doing this would be to hide all your wires out of reach! they like a nibble! if this is not for you, i do suggest the biggest hutch you can get your hands on, they really like a good run around! hope this helps.smile

You are right to think of getting two- they are sociable animals and get lonely. We kept two for eight years in a hutch that size but they had the run of half the garden too. They will need neutering so they don't get cancer- we found that out too late to save ours, and they both died of it in the end.

lyndysue Tue 06-Oct-09 23:08:30

I've checked with the breeder and she has said that the hutch would be a good size for them but we'll need to think about the run outside. Can you put them onto wet grass? (sounds like a daft question but our garden gets quite boggy through the winter).

cece Tue 06-Oct-09 23:17:19

I put mine out on damp grass, my thinking that is in the wild they would go out on damp grass... But boggy I would imagine not good.

I think they would be fine on wet grass as long as there is somewhere dry to go when they have had enough. Our rabbits (4 in total) never seem to eat much grass, not like guinea pigs who graze all day, so it doesn't affect their tums. Ours even came out to explore in snow!

spacedog Sat 17-Oct-09 19:41:16

Mimimum recommended is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with attached 6ft x 4ft run. Otherwise they will be sad and cooped up. Might be ok if you could get a carpenter to extend the downstairs run though (and fairly inexpensive). Remember any run which isn't under constant supervision should be placed on concrete / paving slabs as a fox can tunnel under (or a rabbit tunnel out) in minutes. And all outside hutches should have bolts, not those 'twist' ones as foxes can open them.

FABIsInTraining Sat 17-Oct-09 19:43:31

That hutch seems really small to me, going on what we had to get for 2 guinea pigs which was 5 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot.

spacedog Sat 17-Oct-09 19:44:22

Also, don't know if the breeder mentioned this but femailes should be spayed as uterine cancers in rabbits are very common. This will also help with temperament as otherwise once they reach adulthood they will be very feisty and may fight (a rabbit fight is not pretty and can end in death). Having said that, most rabbits CRAVE a companion and thrive in a pair.

beautifulgirls Sat 17-Oct-09 19:49:54

You should think about getting them vaccinated too - Myxomatosis and HVD are both life threatening diseases that you can prevent. Make sure you factor in this cost alongside the neutering costs.
I would also say that whilst the breeded may indeed know her rabbits very well it can be incredibly hard to sex baby rabbits and whilst she thinks she has two girls there for you to consider there is a realistic chance of then being sexed wrongly at this age - just bear this in mind! It wouldn't be her fault if it was wrong!!

notjustapuppymum Sun 18-Oct-09 19:28:19

Please don't put them on wet grass when they are young, my first bunny died when I was 8 years old after eating too much wet grass for her little tummy and needless to say I was devastated.

anniebear Mon 19-Oct-09 12:32:06

Hutch sounds far too small even for 1 rabbit!!

Pets at home have a big double hutch for sale at the mo for £99

plus they need a good size run also

We got told that the 'dwarf' in dwarf lop doesnt mean they stay small!!

anniebear Mon 19-Oct-09 12:33:41

Breeder is prob saying the hutch is a good size as she wants you to have the rabbits!!

JHKE Tue 20-Oct-09 20:22:49

Agree with Spacedog, minimum recommended size is 6x2x2 ft for a rabbit, bigger the better... You would also be better getting a boy and a girl. They may be ok now but once hormones kick in they may not, so need to be prepared to separate. We have 2 brothers (worse combination)and they do not get on even though we have neutered them (watching them fight was awful) so they now have a 2 separate Hutch/ Run combos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now