Talk

Advanced search

How can I encourage my new puppy to poo outside and not in my kitchen?

(10 Posts)
nobodyputsbabyinthecorner Mon 05-Oct-09 12:48:59

Have got a new labrador puppy who is 9 weeks old. She is very good at not weeing inside, but seems to save her poos up until night and then poos all over the kitchen - how can I stop this?

Many thanks.

Stayingsunnygirl Mon 05-Oct-09 13:11:26

We got our brown lab when she was 8 weeks old - she's now 18 weeks old - and she sleeps in a cage. From what I've read, they are less likely to mess in their beds, and our puppy has only pooed in her cage 3 times.

We also rewarded her with treats and praise when she did do a wee or a poo outside. We've been lucky, and she's very good at going out, as long as the back door is open (she used to go out through the catflap, but is too big now). The dog training books that I've read suggest taking the puppy out directly after feeding them, and staying outside until they do a poo, then lots of praise and a treat.

More experienced dog owners will probably be able to suggest more - I do just wonder if it would help if you put some of her poo outside, and showed it to her - gave her the idea, if you see what I mean.

What sort of lab is she? They are so adorable at that age - ours has grown hugely since then, and we've just started the fun of puppy classes.

Buda Mon 05-Oct-09 13:14:12

We got ours at 9 weeks too. She is now 5 months. Ours only ever pooed in the house once at night when DH left her crate open. She has slept in the crate every night and they don't tend to soil it. I let ours out for a wee before we go to bed around 10pm and then put her in her crate (use a treat to get her in) and we let her out in the morning and she goes straight out and does her business.

Stayingsunnygirl Mon 05-Oct-09 13:19:17

We've found that the puppy likes her crate - it's been her safe place ever since we brought her home, and pretty much from the start, she's been putting herself to bed in there when she's tired.

nobodyputsbabyinthecorner Mon 05-Oct-09 14:26:13

I have looked at crates - have been undecided up until now - will go and have another look, do you put a cushion in there as well?

I make a big fuss of her when she wees outside, but she is so excited and wants to play, that I think that she gets distracted too easily. I spent ages outside with her this morning waiting for a poo so I could praise her - but nothing happened!!

She is black lab - very sweet and really good with the dcs, I keep finding her and dd3 curled up together!

Stayingsunnygirl Mon 05-Oct-09 15:26:40

Yes - she's got a big flat cushion in there, plus a fleecy blanket and a small cushion that she nicked from the couch (a friend gave it to me and I don't like it, so I've let her keep it). We also put some of her toys in there at night - and she takes things in there herself, like dh's hiking boot......

Awwwwww at the thought of her and dd3 curled up together - that's so cute! I've just had my lunch, and ddog climbed up onto the couch with me (she's allowed on the chairs with someone but not on her own) and curled up next to me, with her head on my lap.

Sooner or later she will do a poo outside - it's still very early days.

clumsymum Mon 05-Oct-09 15:34:52

When do you feed her? If she is fed a while before bed-time (one or two hours), can you take her outside (either a walk or just in the garden), and basically stay out there until she produces.

Then you praise like MAD, "what a good girl, how clever" rubbing ears and making a huuuuuge positive fuss.

Every time she poos outside you praise. If you see her squat to poo indoors say a very firm "NO" and get her out the door to finish the job (any way you can).

If she poos indoors when you are not about, then just clear it up with no aknowledgement to her.

But the trick is to try and make sure she's empty before bedtime, tbh.

clumsymum Mon 05-Oct-09 15:37:06

Just to let you know, my early puppy-training has ALWAYS worked, but seems to involve me spending a lot of time strolling round the garden waiting for results.

Most recent dog was acquired one January, a very cold wet january for me....

minimu Mon 05-Oct-09 17:36:23

nobodyputsbayinthedcorner get a cage. Take pup out every hour and when she poos or wees give her a treat.

Take her out last thing at night put her in the cage with a cosy blanket and water and shut the door. Take her out early in the morning and she will get it very quickly.

make sure that you clean up in the house with a proper cleaner easy to get from a pet shop as that will get rid of the smell that will want her to poo again in the same place.

Some bitches can be hard to train but once you get that poo outside she will want to poo in the same place.

bandanna Mon 05-Oct-09 20:41:06

I struggled a bit with our pup until I read that to make the association with going outside they have to walk there. I was carrying her out because of steps. Once I stopped doing that she seemed to get the hang of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now