Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My Collies are shedding excessivly, need help to get rid of hair on carpets and firniture

(7 Posts)
bargainhuntingbetty Mon 05-Oct-09 11:33:03

HELP. My house has never been so hairy. I have 2 collies, one has a long coat and one has a short coat. They are getting their winter coats in and my house is just a big hair ball at the moment.

I am having a family gathering on Saturday and need to de-hair my house but what is the best way. DH hoovered yesterday afternoon and already their is a film of hair on the carpet and furniture. HELP ME.

bargainhuntingbetty Mon 05-Oct-09 11:35:50

Please excuse the bad spelling.

thighsmadeofcheddar Mon 05-Oct-09 11:39:57

You need to brush them alot. We do this every second day with our hairy pooch and it does help.

We have an animal dyson which really helps too. Do you let them up on the furniture?

bargainhuntingbetty Mon 05-Oct-09 11:46:08

No they dont get up on the furniture but they roll about the carpet 'wrestling' and then the hair flies everywhere, its actually amazing where the hair gets too. I brushed them this morning and got 6, yes 6 full brush loads of hair shock. It seems worse this time some how, I have had them for 3 years and I dont remember it ever being this bad. We have a Dyson but not an animal one

wildfig Mon 05-Oct-09 18:32:48

have you tried a Furminator? It's a metal comb that you can buy from Pets At Home (they do their own version too) and it really gets the fluffy undercoat out of shedding dogs. Seriously, I've got a pair of basset hounds, not exactly a hairy breed, and when it comes to coat shedding time I could restuff the sofa with the great wodges of hair. I used it discreetly on my MIL's collie when she last came to stay, and had to do about half as much hoovering after she and he departed (in a cloud of white hairs). If you give them a good going over with that, it should make a difference to the amount they're leaving around the house.

I've got a Cat and Dog Miele too - not sure how much better it is than a regular one. hmm

thighsmadeofcheddar Mon 05-Oct-09 20:03:02

Yes, we got a furminator on the weekend, we took the most insane amount of hair off our doggy. Definitely try one of those.

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 07-Oct-09 11:13:41

ok its off to pets at home with me then thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now