Talk

Advanced search

It's raining, it's pouring, my Guinea Pigs are snoring

(24 Posts)
FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 10:00:27

They are all cosied up in their lovely bed but what do i do about play time? It looks like it will rain all day and it is cold too.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 11:07:14

I've just noticed that it's not actually raining here, and our boys could go out...

Spare a thought for our girl pig, please, who stopped eating over the weekend and who is now at the vet's having dental work under anaesthetic.

I'll go and put the lads out in their run.

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 11:07:16

The run would fill the kitchen I think. It is massive!

I need to go and get them something as I can't bear them being cold.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 11:18:24

There, done.

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 11:27:45

I hope she is okay Pyro.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 11:29:18

Thanks Fab.

What are you in training for?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 12:46:12

I am in training for not being so messed up and also I want to lose 2 stone.

That looks good tmmj.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 13:12:24

Good luck Fab.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 14:20:20

My guinea pig is 'sitting up and looking round' at the vet's, but they're keeping her in overnight to make sure she starts eating.

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 14:22:48

Oh that is good but I bet you can't wait to see her and get her home.

My cat has been asleep since her jab this morning.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 14:27:59

Yes, I can't help wondering whether she might start eating sooner in her own hutch, but part of me is relieved to hand over the responsibility for a bit. Syringe-fed her yesterday. She's going to hate me forever now.
Will phone for update later.

Hope your cat's fine.

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 14:40:52

She won't hate you. Buy her some lovely treats grin

Puss cat is okay thanks.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 17:46:57

Oh, you've not met her.

I think a melon might be in order (not all at once) when she's feeling better.

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 18:05:10

I just feel so bad that mine have been in their hutch all day. When DH gets home I will make them a yummy tea. They had curly kale for breakfast so shouldn't really have anymore fresh stuff but...

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 22:29:48

Look out for any big bits of cardboard packaging that come your way, Fab, big shallow boxes or trays are great for indoor play with some cardboard tubes and food placed on top of upturned flower pots for stretching exercise. Are your pigs becoming braver now?

FABIsInTraining Tue 06-Oct-09 07:42:50

I thought they would chew their way out of cardboard.

They would still rather not be picked up but once you have them they sometimes will sit on my knee and let me stroke them.

I picked up the boy the other day and he made it very clear he wanted to go down.

Pyrocanthus Tue 06-Oct-09 21:10:22

Hi Fab, they probably will chew through it eventually, but they might have some fun doing it if someone's available to keep an eye.

I think not liking being picked up is normal for even very friendly gps; keep giving them lots of cuddles once they are up.

Poorly girl is home tonight and is sprawled on DD's chest purring, having polished off a sow thistle. This followed a syringe feed, as she wasn't eating at the vets and hasn't eaten any pellets at home, and a squirt of antibiotics as they think she has pneumonia. shock

The best gp dentist at the practice was out yesterday, and he wants to take a look in her mouth under sedation, to check that yesteday's work was successful. However, he couldn't today because he didn't think her breathing was right, so has sent her home until Thursday. She may have inhaled some food while being syringe fed (probably my inexperience at the weekend).

I must say she looks very well on it all (she's had a steroid jab wink), and is very cheerful (in spite of what I said about her). She likes my daughter.

FABIsInTraining Wed 07-Oct-09 08:06:17

Awww.

I hope she is better soon.

FABIsInTraining Thu 08-Oct-09 08:03:23

How is she today, Pyro?

Pyrocanthus Thu 08-Oct-09 10:24:50

Thanks for asking, Fab.

She went back to the vet yesterday when she started to grunt when breathing, but by the time we'd got there, she'd stopped grunting and her lungs were clear, so vet said perhaps she had a bit of food stuck.

Back again today for the planned check up with dental expert, who said that if she is eating greens she's fine, and he wouldn't put her under anaesthetic again without good cause.

Things I have learned: guinea pigs hold food in their mouths for up to 48 hours after eating, which makes it difficult to a) inspect their mouths and b) anaesthetize them. Also that while dental problems stop them from eating, the dental problems can be caused by them not eating, so the underlying cause might be a stomach problem. As our girl has a good appetite, that doesn't seem to be the case.

If she stops eating again, I won't syringe feed her until the vet has seen her, to keep her mouth clear.

The vet told me to put her out on the grass in the sun, so that's where she is now, looking a bit nonplussed, with wet paws. Have put a box of hay in the run for her in case she wants to keep her feet dry.

FABIsInTraining Thu 08-Oct-09 10:35:27

That sounds promising. Good look later.

Mine are out in the sun too and the grass is wet so I have puts loads of fresh hay in their cabin so they can hide snuggle in there if they want.

I have washed their bed too and discovered that have been chewing it. hmm

Pyrocanthus Thu 08-Oct-09 10:39:12

Honestly, there's gratitude for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now