Talk

Advanced search

A bit unsavoury, but can anyone give me some advice on worms in cats please?

(9 Posts)
snooks Wed 30-Sep-09 21:29:48

Basically we've always had cats but I've never seen worms before - I've noticed a white 3/4inch worm that goes short then long (shudder) near her bottom. (I flushed it down the loo then another one appeared today).

Do I need to go to the vets?? Or can I order something (Drontal?) from the internet, like we do for intermittent fleas (Frontline etc).

Any advice is very, very welcome!

MamaVegas Wed 30-Sep-09 21:35:48

Sounds like a tapeworm. Ours get these as they eat lots of bl**dy rabbits and wildlife. We get a tablet from the vet (sorry no idea what it is called) and they go quite quickly. They just keep (retch) coming out and then the cats lick themselves and go back into intestines.

Remind me again why we have cats????????

snooks Wed 30-Sep-09 21:41:21

Thanks MamaVegas, (retch also), I did google cat worms images (retch again) but still wasn't sure although I did think tapeworms. We still go to the vets (harrumph £20 consultation fee) for boosters/illness etc but I was hoping this would be an obvious problem I could just buy the medicine for via the internet re Frontline like I said.

Does anyone know the name of MamaVegas' tapeworm tablets? Please!

peggotty Wed 30-Sep-09 21:47:05

Drontal should do the trick - you can get them in Pets at Home, you don't have to go to the vets.

snooks Wed 30-Sep-09 21:51:08

thanks peggotty, dh works near near there, I shall send him in tomorrow smile

beautifulgirls Wed 30-Sep-09 22:02:58

Drontal cat (online) or milbemax (from the vet) plus regular flea control

The good news for you is that while these worms are disgusting to look at and deal with, they are not one of the ones that is a specific human health hazard.

MrsMagnolia Fri 02-Oct-09 11:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RTKangaMummy Fri 02-Oct-09 11:30:20

one of our cats was sick and in it wasa worm still alive <<YUCK>>

Anyway we got tablet from vet and it made the cat froth at the mouth and the vet suggested putting the drops on the back of neck ~ DRONTAL iifc

The rason for the drops was because the cat had the mature worms already inside her it made the tablet taste absolutlely revolvting

So we have used the drops ever since ~ over the counter from vets and she is much happier with that

As our cats eat stuff outside on a daily or weekly basis we really have to keep an eye on them and do it every couple of months

BTW if long haired cut the fur with baby scissors before putting on drops so it doesn't matt the fur

Also make sure any other cats are kept separate so they don't lick it for first hour or so

good luck

smile

RTKangaMummy Fri 02-Oct-09 18:00:45

PROFENDER is the name of drops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now