Advanced search

REALISTIC GUINEA PIG ADVICE NEEDED

(18 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CarGirl Wed 30-Sep-09 17:20:10

shock I never did that!

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 30-Sep-09 17:20:37

My gps only relally like brocoli and carrot - preferably the former

They should be weighed to check they arent becoming fat piggies but surely every few months is fine

Both silly advice imho

5-6 different veg every day is more than many people eat in a week,let a lone a day (watch freaky eaters on bbc3 for examples!)

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 30-Sep-09 18:07:17

Presumably it ought to be organic too

Box on scales maybe - I dont know I confess I have never weighed mine blush

whispywhisp Wed 30-Sep-09 19:15:57

Well I've had guinea pigs for many years...and I mean since I was a child (40+ now!)...I have never weighed a pig and have never given them 5-6 DIFFERENT veg every day...mine get regular handfuls of fresh meadow hay, bits of cucumber, apple, cabbage, carrot, cabbage, celery etc etc....but not every day and nor more than a couple of different pieces either...all depends on what I'm doing for meals for the kids and they get the peelings or bits here and there. What I do ensure they have is plenty of pellet only food and hay...I have had pigs live till about 7yrs old so must be doing something right!

...besides which I don't think I've even got 5-6 different varieties of veg in my fridge at the moment anyway and even if I had I don't think I'd be happy letting them have a potato, runner bean or an onion!!!

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Thu 01-Oct-09 10:22:39

Mine get 2-3 different things a day and usually at tea time. They have hay and cereal always available.

schilke Thu 01-Oct-09 11:05:29

Same as others - hay & dry food all day and then couple of different veggies in the evening.

JeminTheDungeon Thu 01-Oct-09 11:06:54

Same as others.

Who the f### would weigh a giunea pig every week?

Where did you get this info from?

whispywhisp Thu 01-Oct-09 14:22:57

Actually, thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen an overweight guinea pig...??? Feeding 5-6 portions of different bits of veg is excessive, imo...

Iklboo Thu 01-Oct-09 14:27:18

DS is making noises about wanting guinea pigs but we're not sure. Heard

a) it's better to keep them indoors (are they smelly/noisy?)

b) do they need exercise (eg being let out for a run)

c) do they like being handled?

CarGirl Thu 01-Oct-09 15:56:32

I did used to weigh mine a lot and they were quite happy to sit on the kitchen scales but not weekly!!!

Iklboo

They are only smelly if you don't clean them out, they tend to choose one corner to wee/poo in so you could do that everyday and then the whole cage weekly. They are noisy when they "talk" to you certainly not at night and they don't gnaw or anything irratating like that.

Yes they like space/freedom to run about and roam. Mine always lived outside (apart from depths of winter) in a weather proof hutch with constant access to their run but they also came in the house everyday for a run around/social time with us

Mine adored being handled and my mum piggies were quite happy to let me handled their babies once they'd dried off from birth. Like all things daily handling from a young age is the way to go. Mine would sit on my lap for hours (3 squished on sat on a folded towel in case of wees) purring and contently squeaking away they love social contact.

whispywhisp Thu 01-Oct-09 17:23:49

I keep mine indoors. Yes they can get smelly but if you clean them out regularly then they're not too bad. Yes they love to be handled and no they're not noisy unless its feeding time! I wouldn't be without mine...they're real characters and great to have.

RubysReturn Thu 01-Oct-09 17:47:57

Lord no! I sling in a handful of veg/fruit at night (usually guided by what is on bogof) and dry food in the morning.

whispywhisp Fri 02-Oct-09 13:18:07

ruby

I cleaned mine out today...got up early to help get DH out early (he had to leave at 5am to get an early train)...had half hour to kill before getting the kids up so cleaned out the pigs! I'm sure they were all thinking 'who is this mad woman waking us up at this hour?!' but hey, job done, for a couple more days atleast!!!

Iklboo Fri 02-Oct-09 13:21:41

See - I adore ratties. They're very sociable and need lots of handling, cuddling & a free run every night to stop them getting bored. We've decided not go get any until DS is older as we simply don't have the time to give them rigt now and it wouldn't be fair.

It sounds like piggies might have to go on the waititng list and DS make do with his (adorable) Roborowski hamsters

whispywhisp Fri 02-Oct-09 13:31:49

I'm thinking of getting a hamster actually! Just trying to find a cheapish but 'plenty to do' hamster cage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now