Talk

Advanced search

help me pick a name for puppy number two!!

(22 Posts)
cordonbleugh Wed 30-Sep-09 11:12:25

So puppy number one has a name sorted - Alfie.

But I am really struggling to decide on a name for pup number two! Have decided that names ending with an -ee sound are out - cos dogs dont respond the the actual name, just the sounds in it so anything like charlie is out.

Have a list here, would appreciate opinions!

Aero.....Nelson...Lester......Hudson....Troy......Noah....Leo....Diesel....Juno....Merlin....Dex ter....Shay/shae.

Obv is a boy! TIA

ohnelly Wed 30-Sep-09 12:01:04

What sort of dog is it?
Fred?
Murphy?
Bandit?
Benson?

(These are all actually horse names from where I used to work but so are Charlie, Leo & Merlin so thought they might work!)

cordonbleugh Wed 30-Sep-09 12:05:03

Oooh I like benson!They are 3/4 labrador, 1/4 rottie. Alfie is choc brown and pup#2 is dark brown with black paws, ears, nose tail, and a black stripe down his back!

I'm quite drawn to nelson at the moment but that may very well change!

preciouslillywhite Wed 30-Sep-09 12:06:07

Love Nelson. Also had Fletcher on my shortlist.

But picked Bingo. Still think it's the best boy dog name ever (if you don't mind little kids singing B-I-N-G-O over and over again for years and years!)

Buda Wed 30-Sep-09 12:07:37

Boy dogs I know:

Hamish
George
Paddington
Monty

I liked Guinness when we were thinking of a black one.

tibni Wed 30-Sep-09 12:11:27

Our new labrador puppy is Alfie smile

We also considered Ben and Max.

DD googled top dog names as a starting point.

cordonbleugh Wed 30-Sep-09 12:21:31

I thought of fletcher, but then realised it sounds to much like "fetch" which would get confusing when training! I like bingo, but the dog that I know called Bingo is a mental dalmation!

Thanks for the suggestions Buda but not keen on any of those, sorry!

What colour is he tibni? Have done lots of googling! Im terrible at chooding boys names! Luckily DD turned out to be a girl cos I had zero boys names picked out!

DD's suggestion when I asked her was (and I quote) "testicles" !!!!

Buda Wed 30-Sep-09 12:25:05

PMSL at 'testicles' cordonbleugh!!!!

Buda Wed 30-Sep-09 12:25:54

I really like Merlin out of your list.

sugardumpling Wed 30-Sep-09 13:55:09

From your list I vote for Hudson or Dexter, they go better with Alfie which incidently is my DS name! grin

Iklboo Wed 30-Sep-09 13:56:44

I like Dexter

cordonbleugh Wed 30-Sep-09 16:22:22

thanks for replies, Nelson is at the top of the list at the mo but like I said earlier, it could change in the next week and a half!!

Dexter was my original favourite, but then my mum said Alfie will get shortened to Alf, and dexter to Dex, so Alf and Dex will sound like Ant and Dec! haha

Oh its so hard to choose!

preciouslillywhite Wed 30-Sep-09 18:37:37

awwww, puppy called Nelson

envy

tibni Wed 30-Sep-09 19:02:29

My Alfie is a yellow labrador - he is gorgeous - but I am biased!

ohnelly Wed 30-Sep-09 19:06:45

My friends got a dog called PIG - love it and he snores like one!

MamiBabi Wed 30-Sep-09 19:08:49

Steve? Good strong name for a dog.

thirtysomething Wed 30-Sep-09 19:28:40

Dave ? - v. trendy for dogs at present!
Winston
Elvis
Blake
Samson
Maxwell
Jethro
Ned/Nedley
Virgil
Dante
Tennison

Cly de/Clydie

or a "human" name?:
Bruce
Colin
Quentin
Ralph
Trevor

cordonbleugh Wed 30-Sep-09 19:29:54

tibni, I'm sure he is gorgeous! All puppies are!

Lol ohnelly, love the name pig, bet it suits him really well!

Well I have to admit that I've actually gone for a name that isn't on the original list, and goes against my rule of no -ee sound on the end!

Pup number 2 will be called.........Rory grin

Thanks for all your input though, I will make it u to you with pics in a week and a halfs time (if I actually find the time to upload pictures when dealing with 2 8 week old puppies and a 3 year old!!)

cordonbleugh Wed 30-Sep-09 19:32:17

x posts thirtysomething! I have to say though, our lists are pretty similar, at one point he was going to be called Dave simply because I was struggling to come up with anything else!

IWantAChickAndADuck Wed 30-Sep-09 19:33:44

should have called him Pat...

frostyfingers Thu 01-Oct-09 16:25:43

Marmite?

cordonbleugh Sun 04-Oct-09 11:24:19

thanks for all your suggestions, some really good ideas smile

But I have been convinced not to get 2 puppies at the same time. I was all prepared, aware of the issues that could occur, commited to the time and effort it would take to make it work etc, then my dad, decided he wasn't going to allow me to do it!!

He Completely knocked my confidence sad so I told the breeder I would only be having Alfie.

(But pup number 2 is still available, and I'm open to being convinced back to getting him again!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now