Talk

Advanced search

Maltese or Bichon Frise?

(10 Posts)
VerityBrulee Wed 30-Sep-09 11:00:06

We have been thinking about getting a puppy for a while, and I think (and I know I am the one who will be doing all the work!) I am ready to take the plunge.

The 2 breeds I had in mind are Maltese and Bichon Frisee. It needs to be small, and non-shedding as ds1 has allergies.

I have read that Bichons have great temprements, but I'm very taken with a Maltese we meet at the park!

I'd love a bit of advice as it's a pretty big descision(the alternative is to have another baby, but we don't have enough room wink)

sugardumpling Wed 30-Sep-09 11:21:59

hello! I would love a dog too (trying to persuade hubby at the mo!)and have done a LOT of research on them! bichons seem to be the perfect dog to have with small children, if you have allergies ect, I actually got talking the other day to a lovely lady who said she had a Maltese but recommended a bichon cos their a bit cheaper to buy as puppies, very similar temprement though. We'd also love another baby too but are in the same position as you!

MarquesDeLeon Wed 30-Sep-09 11:44:23

I love both these dogs but I've heard that Bichons are the better temperament too (sorry to Maltese owners).

VerityBrulee Wed 30-Sep-09 11:48:17

cute baby vs cute puppy!

Yes, I think the puppy is the cheaper option, as we have had 3 babies and are much worse off for the experience grin

Bichonsdo seem to be a bit more robust, Maltese look a little delicate, but are just so cute. I was looking on a local site yesterday, someone was looking for 1,500 Euro for a maltese puppy, Bichons are around 600 E, thats quite a difference, but I don't want to base such a big decision just on money.

spugs Wed 30-Sep-09 14:28:50

maltese are stupidly expensive, bichons are lovely and much nicer then the maltese ive met grin

hullohullowhatsgoingonherethen Wed 30-Sep-09 15:01:24

gorgeous

VerityBrulee Wed 30-Sep-09 21:11:32

He is very cute!

Any more advice? smile

aGalChangedHerName Thu 01-Oct-09 18:57:11

We have a Bichon bitch. She is the gentlest sweetest little thing i have ever seen!!!

My dd's are 5 and 3 and do 'cuddle' her too tightly sometimes and do pester her too but in the 2 months we have had her she hasn't as much as growled at them.

I had heard they have a lovely temperement (sp) and so far it appears to be right.

Good luck with puppy hunting!!

HKT Thu 01-Oct-09 20:19:21

My sister is geting a bichon pup in 3 weeks - they made the same decision - maltese or bichon, so met up with people to meet both breeds. The bichons were much merrier and happy around her children, where the maltese seemed more terrier-like and fiesty.
Whatever you get, though, will soon be part of your family.

VerityBrulee Thu 01-Oct-09 21:03:59

Thanks! Funnily I met a lady and a lovely bichon in the park this morning, he was SOOO soft, his coat was cut quite short and felt like a really soft sheepskin, perfect for snuggling with!

So given all that's been said here, I think it's a Bichon for the Brulees!

Now I just need to inform persuade dh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now