Talk

Advanced search

Question for a vet - not urgent

(11 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 23-Sep-09 20:09:19

My friend's cat had an accident with some wire, and slashed his foot so badly that initially it looked as if amputation might be necessary. However, the vet treated the wound with a blue light - some kind of laser - and the cat has responded incredibly well, healing so fast that it'll be less than a week from injury to pretty much total healing. shock

(Assuming all goes well at his third and final treatment on Friday.)

The vet also told me a couple of stories from his experience with the laser, and they're truly astounding; if I hadn't seen the cat myself I wouldn't have believed it!

I asked the vet how it worked and he said something about increasing blood flow to capilliaries, and encouraging enzymes, but it didn't really make sense to me. I've had a quick google - and shall carry on - but I can't see reference to lasers being used this way; some reduce inflammation (and apparently it's good for acne) but that doesn't seem to be what's going on here.

Can anyone explain it to me in layperson terms?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 23-Sep-09 20:10:30

No idea but it sounds amazing.

Hope the cat is okay very soon.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 23-Sep-09 20:20:25

It's like science fiction, honestly; horrible wounds healed by shining a light on them!

beautifulgirls Wed 23-Sep-09 21:03:48

Not something I am aware of in clinical practice sorry. Sounds interesting but I wonder if this is an "alternative" therapy. Perhaps you could ask the vet the name of the specific treatment he is using?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 23-Sep-09 21:10:23

Thanks, beautifulgirls - he said the machine (which is just a wee box) cost £1800, but when he was dubious the company told him to use it and if it didn't work, to send it back. Obviously it worked. grin

In my googling I came across an animal physiotherapist who uses it, but the site didn't say anything more. I also found the results of some experiments on rats - cutting them, stitching them, then using light at different frequencies and intervals. The research was this year, so maybe it's still experimental?

I'm taking the cat back on Friday morning, I shall enquire more.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 23-Sep-09 21:31:04

Aha! Changing my search terms, I found this.

"Laser therapy uses light to stimulate the skin cells in a similar way in which plants use light for photosynthesis and can deliver large amounts of energy to injured tissue in a short period of time.

Laser therapy is the generic term for all types of phototherapy. The acronym LASER
stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

In the equipment I use for phototherapy, the application frequencies of the visible and invisible emitters act upon the surface of the skin for visible red, and just under the skin for infra-red. The photo-biological effect is to alter the cell membrane potentials causing vasodilation of
blood capillaries and the increase of nutrient transfer across the cellular membranes. This stimulates epithelial (skin) cells. The increased blood flow and stimulation in these areas helps to speed up the repair of lesions and injuries."

That almost sounds too much like science. grin

>>wanders off to check "phototherapy"<<

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 23-Sep-09 21:35:22

Wow! It's really cutting edge stuff!

That cat has no idea how lucky he is. grin

PinkTulips Wed 23-Sep-09 21:41:37

i wonder would he let me borrow it for dd's leg?

sounds facinating, good on him for testing it out

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 25-Sep-09 16:38:20

Well, the cat had his third treatment this morning, and has been discharged from care (until he goes back next month to be castrated. grin)

On Sunday he ripped his foot so badly that when the vet saw it on Monday, he thought amputation almost inevitable. This is only Friday, the cat is almost perfectly healed, can weight-bear, walk without a limp... and I forgot to ask the name of the treatment this morning! I did ask if it was all sort of experimental and he said yes, and that wonderful things are being achieved with humans through - wait for it - vacuum-packing! shock

I can pass on his contact details if you're interested, beautifulgirls - am assuming you're a vet?

beautifulgirls Fri 25-Sep-09 21:02:30

I am a vet yes - about to go on maternity leave so in practical terms I am not a vet for a while now though! Thanks for the offer to get in touch, but I probably just don't have the time to look into it properly for some months. It is hard to tell what would have happened without the treatment, but I am so pleased whatever that the cat is doing so well too. I will keep an eye on the veterinary press as new technologies with controlled data etc are usually published in these and if such technology is making a big impact it will not be hard to find out more.

I hope the cat continues to make excellent progress.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Sep-09 01:22:26

Thanks, beautifulgirls - I'm still being utterly gobsmacked by this advance in technology! Totally understand that you'll be too busy for the next while, but hope there will be more in the journals as more vets try it.

I just can't say how amazing this is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now