Talk

Advanced search

Cat people needed - Need opinions on cats behaviour

(17 Posts)
TellAnyone Wed 23-Sep-09 12:00:32

I don't really like cats. I'll be honest from the start.

But when I moved in with DP, I knew he had two cats and I would have to tolerate them. I was fine with this.

One is a playful, soft young cat and the other is a grumpy, split personality older cat. I was warned to be careful with the older one as it has a tendancy to lash out for no reason.

Anyway, the grumpy cat took an instant like to me. As soon as I sit down, she jumps up and sits on my knee. She 'pads' me with her paws whilst purring. She follows me around all over the place. She waits in teh driveway for me coming home and then walks alongside me into the house.

She jumps up on the bed in a morning and lays ON me, if she gets away with it, she sleeps on my side of the bed during the say. I've even caught her a few times asleep ON MY PILLOW!! there are four other pillows in the house yet she chooses mine every time, why???

If my clothes are left around, she will seek them out and sleep on them. She is not like this with ANYONE else, she hates humans usually.

I have two theories:

She hates me and so tries to maintain her authority over me by being everywhere I am.

OR

She loves me.

What's up with her? it's kind of sweet but as I'm not a massive fan of cats, it does annoy me sometimes.

pippel Wed 23-Sep-09 12:02:27

she does it to annoy you! grin she knows exactly what shes doing

TellAnyone Wed 23-Sep-09 12:03:47

Well I was told that a cat knows instantly if you like it or not. and if you don't, they'll do everything in their power to make you pay for it!

Demon cat!

ib Wed 23-Sep-09 12:03:50

The pillow thing would be annoying even if you were a huge fan of cats!

My theory with this kind of cat is that they hate being swamped. People who like cats will tend to try and approach them, which they hate. Non-catty people will stay away from them, which allows them to go to them in their own time, which is how they like it.

I have one who is the same. He can be very, very irritating, despite being sweet.

TheInvisibleManDidIt Wed 23-Sep-09 12:04:39

She loves you. grin

ClaireDeLoon Wed 23-Sep-09 12:09:40

I agree, she loves you. Awwww

thesunshinesbrightly Wed 23-Sep-09 12:10:29

she's trying to make friends with you.

why don't you like cats? do you have issues??

beautifulgirls Wed 23-Sep-09 12:45:11

Sounds like she likes you - but I can see the annoyance it causes you too. Can you talk with DP about keeping the bedroom door shut day and night to help reduce some of the more annoying issues she causes with you when you are trying to sleep and with her sleeping on your pillow. You could offer to buy the cats some new fleecy blanket/igloo beds/over radiator beds as "compensation" to them so he doesn't see it as his cats getting "victimised" My cat is not allowed in the bedroom at all - door is shut and he has plenty of access to all other areas so he doesn't miss out. He has a nice igloo bed by a radiator and various other places of his choosing too.

MrsMagnolia Thu 24-Sep-09 12:34:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hassled Thu 24-Sep-09 12:40:46

I think she loves you. She wants you to love her and she can't get enough of your scent.

Cats do do the beeline for the person who hates cats thing, but they don't IME sustain it.

123andaway Thu 24-Sep-09 14:42:20

She loves you!!!!

Cats have a clear hierachy, usually only visible to other cats, and she has put you at the top of this heirachy and herself second, you are the 'boss cat'!!!

She is marking all your clothes, pillow and you with her scent (nice huh!), to remind everyone else in the house that you are hers and not theirs!!!

The padding and purring when on your knee is what kittens do with their mums when feeding.

She shuns everyone else, as they are, in her eyes, lower in the pecking order.

You should be flattered!!!!

girlywhirly Thu 24-Sep-09 14:51:17

As you have moved in with DP, the cat is interacting with you as a member of her family, and wishes to exchange her body scent with yours, kneading your clothes, following you about, lying on you, sharing the pillow! I agree that you adopting a low key approach to interacting makes her more happy to be around you, as cats hate being forced to do anything they don't want to, and like things to be on their terms.

You lucky thing, want to swap with mine who doesn't like sitting on laps often!

Liskey Thu 24-Sep-09 20:11:35

I think she loves you too. My cat only kneads when she's feeling really relaxed and happy.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 24-Sep-09 20:14:21

Oh yes, she loves you - definitely!

differentID Thu 24-Sep-09 20:15:00

she loves you and finds you comforting. the kneading and searching out your scent means she probably looks on you as her "mum"

CarGirl Thu 24-Sep-09 20:16:46

are you pregnant?

tis definately love though.

kittymax Sat 26-Sep-09 15:08:28

Ooooh, she's in luuuuurve. She's found herself the perfect mummy! Cats are extremely picky about who they like so you should be very flattered indeed. Cats only purr when they're happy/content. And the kneading happens when they're so so sooooo happy! It's what they do to their mum to get milk, I think you're her new mum! She certainly thinks you're her new mum, well done! You'll get used to it, there's nothing more comforting than a purring cat on one's lap. Although when mine kneads my neck and hair in the night I wake up with scratches which are def not comforting! Try keeping door closed at night. Good Luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now